The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We have a small herd of Nigerians and Nigerian/Pygmy crosses. 12 now, after 2 sets of twins born recently, boy and girl each. The father for both sets is a Nigerian born here last year, purebred, but not registered and not eligible.

I had originally thought I'd sell the two boys after they're weaned, but now wondering if its worth it. Looks like the going price on Craigslist is $200, registered or not, here in southern KY.

We bought a registered buck in January, and he is now in with two of the girls (also pure Nigerian, not registered), hopefully making babies. The father of the 2 sets of twins is in with his maybe half-sister. Those two does were pregnant when I bought them, so not sure these 2 are by the same buck or not.

So, that's question number 1: To keep and wether (they are quite beautiful little boys, now 3 wks old), for very limited return. I have purposely not named them to try not getting too attached. With 9 does now, I'm going to need to be more careful about who gets to be a mommy.

We fenced in a new pen and built a new bachelor pad last week (so 3 pens and sheds now--built by my husband, with real cedar--very nice!). My plan is to use that for the 2 intact bucks when they are finished doing their jobs, and put the 2 baby boys in with them after weaning. Is that wise? I'm thinking about just taking them to the vet to be castrated.

We will be fencing more in the spring, going on up into the woods that leads to a small pasture, and bringing them in the pens at night.

Not interested in the milk, except for the babies. They will mostly be used for brush clearing and pets.

Does that sound like a plan?

·
Super Moderator
58,202 Posts
You would have to see if the bucks would beat up the little ones. You would need to be prepared to separate. I'd love to get $200 for a non registered wether. Why is that not worth it to sell them?

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
$200 is a great price for a unregistered buck. I would still wether them and sell as pets. Wethering should be held off until goats are 4-6 months old to allow the urethra to grow in width helping prevent Urinary calculi.
I agree they may need their own safe pen until old enough to stand their ground with the adult bucks. Keeping them is totally up to you as you know your space and finances.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts