The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have had my 2 Nigerian Dwarf goats for 3 years since they were kids. About 6 months ago my weather started rearing up whenever people are near. He hasn’t butted or made contact with anyone but I’m worried it will continue and get worse. I don’t allow it and push him down when he’s doing it. Does anyone have suggestions how to stop this?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Avoid pushing him down. Physical contact is a goat's bread and butter and could make the problem worse. I suggest arming yourself with a squirt gun and spray him in the face or feet any time he's rearing up at you, blocking your path when you walk, climbing on gates as you approach, etc. Watch for small signs of aggression like raised back hair, a "hairy eyeball", head tilted toward you, etc. Spray him whenever he exhibits these little aggressions and only allow him to approach when he's acting humble and kind. He should know that he only gets petted, fed, and given positive attention when he is behaving himself and has good manners.

If you don't have the squirt gun on you, you can still address his aggression with a good scare. I will sometimes charge at a young goat while clapping my hands, stomping my feet, and shouting. It usually scares the pants off them and they run away in alarm. I don't go after them to "make up" because they may feel cornered which can lead to defensive aggression. When they run away I turn and ignore them and maybe pet another goat. They can come back and ask for forgiveness whenever they feel ready, but they have to approach me with the right attitude. We go through this every season with young bucklings who, at some point along the way, get too big for their britches and think they can challenge people. As long as we are fair and consistent with our discipline, the behavior usually goes away pretty quickly.

·
Super Moderator
14,789 Posts
Yep start with a spray gun or bottle to start with. It doesn’t sound like he has taken it too far so that should knock him back and make him think about his actions. The scaring is a good idea as well. If both don’t work I have tried flipping them on their side and sitting on them and have had mixed results. It really depends on if they are goofing around or really being mean about it. But I would try those three things first. Goats are also very smart so I like to use a command as well. Sometimes when you think they know better they try it again and you have no squirt gun around so try spraying him and saying something like “get back” or “knock it off” that way if he tries it when your not armed (lol) it should click with him.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
When I use my squirt gun, I say “No!” in my sternest voice at the same time, and also make the sound of squirting (“ksh!”). When I have no squirt gun on me, I hold my hand as if I have it, and say “No! Ksh!”, and they all jump away from the gate.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hello
I have had my 2 Nigerian Dwarf goats for 3 years since they were kids. About 6 months ago my weather started rearing up whenever people are near. He hasn’t butted or made contact with anyone but I’m worried it will continue and get worse. I don’t allow it and push him down when he’s doing it. Does anyone have suggestions how to stop this?
My ND doe, Snickerdoodle, does that. I just walk into the headbutt, and when she gets down, I just kinda push her. Nothing big, almost like we're playing. If she does it to someone else, I tell them to push her down since she doesn't like it when she gets pushed. I don't want her learning to do it to guests, but I kinda think it's funny when she does it to me, so I just make it into a game when she does it to me. Try to have others push your wether down, but what you do yourself is just preference, I guess

Another thing I hear works is an e-collar (I recommend Garmin)

I'm no behavior expert, I'm just the guy with 2 pet goats. Other people probably have better advice, I'll admit that

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Yes, they really do learn verbal cues! My wether Huckleberry is a nut. He and I get along great, once he realized he couldn't push me around, but he is not always nice to other people and goats. But if holler at him when I see him being bad, he almost always stops that behavior. He still has an attitude, but he knows he has to behave when I'm around. ;)

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I second the water pistol. Used it before with a horned wether and always kept it on me when outside inngiat area back when I had him. Worked but I also said no and squirted at the same time. Then would just carry it after he stopped. It was a bright orange kids water pistol from the dollar store. High tech goat equipment. I still have it in my old truck at the barn too just in case

1 - 11 of 11 Posts