The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10-week old wether. Last night when we went out to feed, he was not interested and laid in the corner. It was hot, so I watched him while we were out there. Definitely was not himself so I got a temp and it was 104.8. Checked two other ones and they were 103 and 103.4. I gave him 1/2 cc of banamine and probios. In a little while he went and ate some grain and hay. Note - no diarreah, no snotty nose, no weird breathing.

This morning, he was acting better. Temp was 103.5 at 7:30 a.m. On the high side of normal, but still higher than I think it should be. I will be checking it when I get home. Question is - if he has a temp again, should I go ahead and start some Penn G? Nuflor? With fever being the only symptom, I am at a loss on what to treat. Unfortunately, it is supposed to be 105 Friday and 109 Saturday, so if its the heat, its only getting worse.

They do have a fan in their area that runs all day.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I know that being wormy wouldn't cause fever but when was he last dewormed? Nothing pops into my head as to what the problem is if he's not having any symptoms other than an elevated temp.....I'll think about it though

·
Administrator
84,590 Posts
When getting a temp, make sure the goat hasn't been in the direct sun or running around prior , it will make it higher(False reading).
Always let them cool down in the shade for a while, before getting a temp.

If the goat has a high temp and it is an accurate reading. Always start them on antibiotics, remember though, make sure, they are cooled down naturally prior to getting a more accurate reading. Nuflor is a very good drug. With fever most likely indicates pneumonia or infection. If you have had a lot of up and down temps it can cause pneumonia.

Never just give Banamine, it only temperately covers the fever issue, but not the illness. It isn't good, to give it just to cool them down.

If you doubt the temp, you can always wait til the day cools down and take it in the evening.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was out there for about an hour with him before I took his temp, just observing him. He wasn't running around, and was laying inside one of the kidding stalls in the shade, where the fan was blowing. His eyelids are pink, so not worms.

He does have a slightly infected testicle sack, up around the band, and I have been putting blukote on that for the last couple of days. It doesn't seem to bother him. Another one of ours has a much worse looking area down there - I hate banding in the heat.

I just gave the banamine to bring the temp down, but was at a loss as to what else to do! What is the dosage for Nuflor on a 50 lb. wether? Yes, he is 10 weeks old and over 50 lbs. He's the biggest boy we have this year!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts