The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn’t find my old post but update on sick wether. His eye color is still ghost white to me. I had given recall for a week and stopped to once a week. Also had give replamin with it for one week. Today is the day to give both again. Should I start it for another week? He is still penned off from the rest of the boys. His appetite is very good and he is popping pellets good and water flow seems good. I’ll do another temp this evening. I gave his second dose of 5 ml invermetin orally yesterday, do you think I should switch to Cydectin or continue with invermetin. I’ll try to do a fecal some times this week. Other than that he is active as normal but his coat and weigh needs to improve.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Did you give a copper bolus? I would also give B complex and B12, and Cydectin instead of Ivermectin. But you really need a fecal to see if Ivermectin did work and it's just taking a long time or if you need to use Cydectin.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
If his lids are still white it would not hurt to do another week round of Red Cell, but do keep an watch for color change. As soon as there is improvement, go back to once a week until his score is about a 3. I agree with getting a fecal a week or so after this last dose of Ivomec to be sure it's working. If you choose Cydectin for future treatment, i would use sheep drench or Quest. Its great his appetite is good : ) keep up the good work

Reactions: TCOLVIN

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you give a copper bolus? I would also give B complex and B12, and Cydectin instead of Ivermectin. But you really need a fecal to see if Ivermectin did work and it's just taking a long time or if you need to use Cydectin.
Gave copper bolus when things first started about 2 weeks ago.

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok gave replamin, redcell, B complex sub Q and added crushed garlic to his goat pellets alfalfa mix. He did not like y'all telling me what he needed. LOL especially the shot.

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This evening I skipped the redcell because I gave him a round of B complex orally (12 ml) and B12 rooster booster orally (12 ml) and a dose of replamin. Tomorrow he goes back to his redcell and replamin for the next few days.

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: He is eating his pellets and some hay. Temp checked at 103.5 F. Gave him redcell, B12 rooster booster, replaime. I have 2 more days on the 5 stretch then I will go to once or twice a week, temp has been holding good and he has more resistance to treatment. I may pull a fecal tomorrow and carry in Friday morning as I’m going right pass my vet ( 20 miles from here to vet ). I’m thinking I need to switch to Cydectin wormer but I’ll wait now on fecal.

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMG_1870.jpg

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a pic the day I notice something was wrong.

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I got the fecal back. Vet implied that the ivermectin is not working. He advised Cydectin 10ml and 25 ml of pyrantel wormer for dogs. I gave all this this evening. He said to do another fecal in 12 days and He also said move him to a clean pasture now. It was a lot of wormer but that is what he said to do. I pray he will be alright with this. I will move him tomorrow. I will also try and get another temp.

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad you found out. I'm sure the vet knows best for your area. Hope it clears him up.
He was active and hungry this morning. Maybe a good sign. I will pasture move him this eve and get a temp.

Reactions: Dwarf Dad

·
TKC Farms
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
(thumbup)
Gave him a dose of redcell and a dose of replamin. Checked his temp and it was 102.9 F. He ate all his goat and alfalfa pellets and I turned him back to new pasture with my Billy and another wether. I will keep check on him and give redcell weekly until his eye color begins to change to better. He gets his 2nd dose of cydectin and pyrantel on Oct 2nd. He appears to be responding well.

Reactions: Dwarf Dad
1 - 20 of 22 Posts