The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a young wether that is having recurring diarrhea. He has been treated for coccidiosis. Given Ivermectin, cydectin, and fenbendazole for worms. I have him and his sister. She is fat and healthy with no problems. I have been giving him Kaolin Pectin which seems to help a little. I feed him alfalfa hay and goat pellets and they have a small pasture. He will do fine for a week or two then diarrhea again. I am at a loss. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Jethro is just a pet but I do my best for all my animals.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Welcome to the forum. So sorry Jethro is struggling!

How old is he? How much does he weigh?

Could you give a list of the dates and dosages that each dewormer were given?
And the date and results of the last fecal analysis done?

It may be helpful to explore the website wormx.info and watch some videos there (I'm assuming you are a relatively new goat owner)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply Jethro is 10 months old. I rescued Jethro and his sister when they were 1 day old and orphaned. I have not had goats for 40 years so yes I am a new owner. I regularly have fecal checks but they have all been negative until the very last ones which showed worms and coccidia.
This started 11/30 and vet gave coccidia meds. Then 12/7 Ivermectin shot. 12/22 cydectine shot. Then fenbendazole paste and another coccidia med on 12/28. He seemed to really improve after last treatment.
I am now using Corid in water to keep down coccidia.
Thanks again

·
Registered
29,990 Posts
Corid in water is not effective treatment. The dose would be too low to b do much good. Some animals won't drink and can become dehydrated. Its best to treat him orally with diluted corid at proper dose.

I would recommend GI Back on Track herbal blends from land of havilah to help correct intestinal issues. LoH owner, Kristie may have more ideas to get his immune system back on track.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Hmmm okay so in goats it's been found that using dewormers orally is much more effective than injections.

Is he often eating hay or grain off the ground or grazing the very short pasture? The 3 week cycle is very typical of reinfection by the eggs shed in feces.

There is a very good mail in service called Meadow Mist for fecal analysis. I'd consider sending a fresh sample from each goat there to see if, even though not symptomatic, his sister is shedding a high number of eggs.

I don't know of any coccidia meds that are a one time treatment for an active infection. In addition the Fenbendazole would have needed to be repeated in 10-14 days. So I feel the best treatments were not chosen in this case.

I'd recommend:
Switch to Corid dosed orally rather than in water, complete 5 day treatment. Then send fecal analysis on BOTH goats ten days later to assess.

If stomach worm loads are high, use ivermectin injectable given ORALLY at 1mL per 40lbs AND Safeguard liquid at 1mL per 10lbs. Repeat both 10 days later.

If coccidia is high again, get Toltrazuril or Baycox.

Very cool you had goats 40 years ago and now this pair came into your life! Definitely brush up on the current deworming practices and knowledge on the website I posted above.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much. I will do my best to follow your instructions and get the herbal treatment. Jethro has always been the weaker of the pair so I will have to watch him closely.

·
Registered
29,990 Posts
Herbs not only address problems but is good nutrients. I find since starting herbs with my goats they are healthier. Jethro may have had a tough start and never really balanced out. I would definitely talk with Kristie Miller of Land of Havilah. She can direct you to the best blends to help Jethro.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,279 Posts
Honestly if they have already gotten a bit of corid in water I would count that out as a viable treatment.

I would try to get toltrazuril or baycox. Send out a fecal to www.meadowmistlabservice.com

Stop all grain. Feed only hay or forage.

Tummy Trouble Paste:

1/2 teaspoon of cayenne, cinnamon, slippery elm bark powder, and ginger (can be substituted for a slice of raw ginger the size of a quarter about 1/2 cm thick). Blend with 1 raw clove of garlic, molasses, apple cider vinegar, and enough water to drench.

Give 2-4 times daily.

Can you describe the color and texture of the diarrhea?

Probiotics 2x daily.

Vitamin B Complex Injectable 6cc per 100lbs 2x daily SubQ injection.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,279 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much for the ideas. I will get started. His diarrhea is dark colored and ranges from paste to liquid.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Thank you so much for the ideas. I will get started. His diarrhea is dark colored and ranges from paste to liquid.
Actually... Now that you've posted this. Bacterial causes also come to mind. I failed to consider giardia or ecoli as a possible cause earlier in this thread. Keep that in mind if you still don't see improvement with the suggestions above.

It's possible the coccidia med your vet gave on 12/28 is Baycox, Toltrazuril, or Marquis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts