The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
I have a 2 1/2 year old NGD wether that has scours and isn't eating. It started Wednesday as far as I can tell and I realized it yesterday (Thursday). I seperated him from the heard, started worming him (he is wormed each spring and fall Pluse cdt), gave him Corid 20% powder mixed in water (30ml - he is 115#), his gums look pink/light pink and temp was 100.4.
My question is am I doing everything ok? I'm hesitatent to treat him for the scours until I've exhausted all other possibilities. His rumon is making noise so should'nt be dead gut?? He isn't dehydrated yet and I'm keeping an eye on that. I am planning on giving him some pedialite tonight.
Any suggestions??
Thank you!!
Jackie

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
since you are treating for cocci already i would give him about a tablespoon of pepto bismol. not sure corid is your best bet di methox or baycox are better imo. but if corid works for you go for it. why are you hesitant to treat for scours? pepto works very well.

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
Are you drenching him with the corid? You will need to do it for 5 days.

I would be giving him Probios too. I don't like to give stuff like Pepto to make sure my treatment is working.

Give him a B Complex shot after Corid treatment.

His temp is low so I would get that back up. There is a homemade electrolyte recipe by Happybleats. Look that up and offer it to him.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
I agree..give him pepto, at least 15 cc..it will sooth his gut and dry him up...Its important to know what the runs are caused by...if it has a greenish tint then most likely dietary. I dont run for wormer first off...dark brown to black poo can be worms but without a fecal or signs of anemia in the eye lids and gum, worming like that is like shooting in the dark, you dont know what you're treating...since you began the cocci treatment it needs to be completed...Watch for signs of Polio while ussing Corid..if he begin to star gaze, stumble ect..he will need Thiamine or fortifed B complex if these symptoms begin. I would dose him with fortified B complex for at least 3 days after corid treatment...what did you worm him with and how much?
His temp is a bit low..101.3-103.5 is normal range...I would keep and eye on that. Low temp is a sign the gut is shutting down. Off him green leaves and hay only no feed until he berries up...offer electrolytes and plain water to help him stay hydtrated
Probiotics will help restore flora

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!
Enchantedgoats - I've heard that you shouldn't treat for scours right off the bat because it may mask something worse that is going on and eventually kill him. :(

Ksalvagno - Yes, I'm drenching him for the 5 days. I give all my goats Gladiator Plus ( http://www.hubbardfeeds.com/beef/ProdInfo/gladiatorplus.aspx?item=Feedlot ) to help their rumen and will continue to do so for him.
How do I get his temp up?

Happybleats - His runs are black runny tar with a fowl smell. I wormed him with ivomec gold - 2ccs subQ.....It was about time to worm everyone anyway. Thank you for the Electrolyte recipe. :)
How much Fortified B Complex should I give him once the Corid is done OR if he show signs of Polio? Where do you get it? Tractor Supply doesn't have it. :(

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I'm really worried about my boy. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts