wether with the poops

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by elchivito, Aug 8, 2010.

1. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    My old broken down 7 year old wether came up sick last night. At first I thought he was straining to pee so watched him for a while and finally realized he was straining to poop. Very loose, lots of mucus, green and with what looked to me like little streaks of blood. There wasn't much of it so it's not like he's pooping his brains out. Behavior fairly normal otherwise. No fever.
    I decided to hit him hard and so dosed him as follows:

36ml of 12.5% Di Methox
    1 1/2 tsp. of ammonium chloride as I hadn't seen him pee
    8 cc pepto
    all mixed up with molasses and drenched
    in addition I gave him
    free choice bicarb
    20mg probiotic

This morning his poop has returned to pellets with quite a bit of mucus and he's eating but acting a bit off.
    I normally feed alfalfa hay and a rye grass hay in separate feeders. He usually goes for mostly the grass hay. Yesterday I ran out of grass and can't get any till tomorrow. I'm wondering now if maybe he just ate too much alfalfa and his system reacted to it. No blood in his poops this morning, maybe what I saw last night was just from straining. He's peeing normally this a.m. so at least I can eliminate stones. Any thoughts on this?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Sounds like he ate to much of the alfalfa. Just watch him today and if it all stays normal sounds like you have it under control

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Stacey.....give some pepto..... :hug: