Wethered Saturday - Now temp going up

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by PznIvyFarm, Oct 11, 2010.

1. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I wethered all the boys by banding on Saturday. Everything seemed ok. This morning i noticed one of the boys was mopey and hanging out by himself (which is odd, b/c i have been separating the babies at night from their mommies, and they tend to dogpile while they sleep) He also did not start in gobbling the grain like they usually do. I took his temp, it was 101.2. I gave him an aspirin just in case he was in discomfort, and checked his 'hacky sack' - it looked fine, no signs of infection or anything. He was nursing and hanging out with his mom when i left this morning. Just checked him awhile ago, and he was still acting 'off' Nothing really overt, just not like the others, i took his temp again and it is 102.2. I gave him another aspirin, looked him over, and see nothing wrong.

Is there anything else i can do? Am i worrying unnecessarily? I know with chickens that once they appear really ill, it is usually too late, and I worry that baby goats are the same, so i am trying to notice any subtle problems just in case.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well its good you are on top of it. If his temp keeps going up I would put him on 5 days of penicillin 1cc per 20lbs

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Stacey....

It could be that he is in pain.... is why is is acting off...... his temp is normal as of now...
    I would give him Banamine..... helps with swelling ...pain...and appetite.... more so... than Aspirin...

4. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    What is Banamine and where can you get it???????

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    banamine is an RX - its a pain medication

6. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Peggy - This is from Wikipedia:

It acted like a pain reliever for A horse I had, He felt so good he went for a run.
    I haven't yet used it for goats however. You can only get it from a vet or with a prescription. Hope it helps!

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    From your Vet.... it is a strong pain killer ...helps stimulate appetite.....and takes down swelling.... can be given every 36 hours.... unless directed by your vet to use differently...

8. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    He is doing much better now.

I would agree banamine is better than aspirin, after her horrible delivery, I gave Bailey aspirin (recommended by vet) it did nothing, and i had to go back to him and he gave me banamine.

However, the banamine was $40 ish (maybe $45?) for 10 mls! I find that ridiculous. Is it always that expensive or is my vet overcharging?

(since the vets all charge around $15-$20 for vaccines, and i figured out that the cd/t is costing me about $0.68 for vaccine and the needle, i know they are padding some items quite heavily)

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is high.... try another vet and see if you can get it cheaper..... it does work wonders.... :wink:

Glad your wether is doing better.... great job.... :thumb:

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah thats how vets do it. I got charged 30.oo for .4 mils of valbazen when 500mls is 35.00 from jeffers!

11. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I have a friend who is a vet downstate. I dont usually ask her for stuff b/c i don't want to take advantage, but maybe i can get a better price thru her.

12. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    102.2 is perfectly normal temp in my book. I wouldn't use Banamine on any temp under 104. My boys acted mopey for an entire day after I banded them this year. The most important thing is to make sure he's peeing OK. Banamine can cause rumen ulcers and so should be saved for worst cases in my opinion. It's great stuff, but easy to overuse. Ask your vet friend to give you a script for it and you can send it to Jeffers or PBSAnimal Health and they'll keep it on file for you.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The reason they acting dopey the entire day is... they are very uncomfortable and stressed... even with Banimine.... Please note(If a goat has a below normal temp... DO not give it to them.. as it will drop the temps to a even more dangerous level)...I will and have given it to healthy bucks to be wethers.. as I band them... The Banamine doesn't make them dopey.....it gives them energy...appetite...... ect
    I do agree it can be overused...that is why... it says not to use.... any sooner than every 36 hours.... it doesn't hurt to do it twice.... 36 hours in between...only..if needed....I have done it and have never had an issue with it.... :wink: