The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be selling one of my bucklings as a wether and I'm wondering what the best time to do it in relation to selling him is? How long before selling him should I band him, or would is it fine to band him right before he's sold?

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
I like to give a few days to a week at least to make sure everything is OK. Definitely past the pain part. I rather not send off right away..thats a lot of stress on them and you know how well goats deal with stress. 😉

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to be putting my bucklings for sale as bucklings and giving the option to put a band on them if wanted...that way if someone is interested in buying one but doesnt agree with banding they can do it their own way...
I will be selling him with a doeling, so I definitely think she should be banded before he goes home. 😉

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I agree with selling him castrated. Got burned once before selling a buck with the agreement he was to be band and that never happened and came back to bite me.
He should be 8 weeks at the youngest and give yourself and him a few days before sending him to his new home

·
Registered
221 Posts
I will be selling him with a doeling, so I definitely think she should be banded before he goes home. 😉
oh so you're selling the two together? yea prolly best to band him first then. i would put the band on any time now so thats he's good to go when someone buys him....as long as he's old enough. how old is he?

I'm selling my buckling separate from my doelings because i dont have space for them to be separate from the girls.. i was thinkinggg abt banding them, but i think it would be harder to sell them that way...i've been watching craigslist and dairy weathers stay around for a long time. and there are almost never alpines for sale around me, i was looking for a buck for several months last year before finding one so i'm hoping thats the case this year again and they wont be too hard to sell....

·
Fair-Haven
4,924 Posts
Burdizzo is another option for you to wether prior to selling. Only a few seconds of ouch and very little recovery needed. Good for you that you find that not every buckling is worth being a herd sire and that you want to make sure your buyers don't have issues. It does take a while for your boy to become infertile either way, but with an Alpine and his age, they should be fine.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Burdizzo is another option for you to wether prior to selling. Only a few seconds of ouch and very little recovery needed. Good for you that you find that not every buckling is worth being a herd sire and that you want to make sure your buyers don't have issues. It does take a while for your boy to become infertile either way, but with an Alpine and his age, they should be fine.
is burdizzo the clamp thing?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I band my boys 2 - 3 days before they go to their new homes at 8 weeks old. It gives me a couple of days to make sure everything is fine and gives the boys a chance to let their herd help them feel better.

Personally - I hate the burdizzo way but it is a personal preference. At a goat conference my husband and I attended, we stood in a circle to watch someone use the burdizzo on several bucklings and every single man in that crowd cringed, stepped back and unconsciously 'protected' themselves. My husband said we would never do that. 😄

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He's ten weeks now. I thought I heard that three months is when it should be done for maximum growth. I haven't seen him fully extending so I figured I'd wait as long as possible. I don't feel comfortable with a burdizzo without someone to show me how it's done so I'm going with banding. Thanks for the advice everyone!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I personally band and won’t let them leave until fully healed. If there is going to be a issue with infection or anything else I would rather it happen with me and not with someone else that may miss it and end up with a serious problem or dead goat on their hands. It’s amazing how things can be turned around to be the sellers fault. There have been a few exceptions with buyers that I trust know what to watch for and how to address issues and on those I waited about a week.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I personally band and won’t let them leave until fully healed. If there is going to be a issue with infection or anything else I would rather it happen with me and not with someone else that may miss it and end up with a serious problem or dead goat on their hands. It’s amazing how things can be turned around to be the sellers fault. There have been a few exceptions with buyers that I trust know what to watch for and how to address issues and on those I waited about a week.
I see your point. How long does it generally take to heal completely? I'd hate to cause my buyers any trouble, especially since they are newbies.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So to piggyback on your question- how long do you all wait until after the second CDT shot before you band?
I found this online: Ideally, banding should follow the second, or booster dose, by no less than two weeks. If the kid has not received both vaccinations, a tetanus anti-toxin should be used.

·
Registered
791 Posts
It really depends on when it’s done. I was lazy this year and didn’t get the kids wethers banded until they were 3 1/2 months old and very large in the testicles and they are still hanging onto them a month later! With the 8 week old kids a month later and they have fallen off and totally healed. Last year for my butcher kids I did them at 4 weeks old, kinda a experiment since I knew they wouldn’t live longer then 3-4 months old and no long term issues, and it was 2 weeks for them.
Now I haven’t tried it, but really should have on these boys, maybe I still will, but people claim that if after banding when the testicles are dead cut below the band and it speeds up the healing process. It makes sense to me because it’s getting more air in there to dry things up. But if that is something you might be interested in I know goathiker does that, she might be the one to talk to before trying it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts