Wethering question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by PznIvyFarm, Oct 9, 2010.

1. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Today is the big day, and none to soon, the boys are randy and i think girls are in heat.

The does all got their cd/t 4-5 weeks pre-birth, and i just gave all the kids their own cd/t yesterday. Will the boys be okay, or do they also need the tetanus antitoxin? I didn't realize i was supposed to give the cd/t 2 weeks before wethering them.

2. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

We cd/t all of our kids prebirth 4 weeks, then the kids at 4 weeks & again at 8 weeks.
    I think your boys will be fine. Just keep an eye out either way for any infection that may occur--we've never had any infections from castrating yet.
    I suppose it might depend on your castrating method though too..we use the bands.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes.... they will be ok..... :thumb:

4. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Thank you for the help. Yes, we are using the bands.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome.... :wink: :thumb:

6. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    So glad i don't have to do this again for awhile (well, hopefully not, of course all my does are in heat, so i hope the boys weren't fertile yet)

It went okay, DH was a huge help, much braver than i was. Now all the boys are lying around crying, and have been doing so for the last hour. I gave them all an aspirin but it isn't doing much so far. Thinking about going out so i don't have to listen any more. They sound so pitiful. I know its for the best, and even if the vet did it I'd still have to listen to the aftermath, but it still is tough.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know how ya feel....I don't like doing it either...... :hug:

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The boys will be just fine, I know how hard it is to deal with the drama but it's worth it when you know they will have a better laid back life as pets :hug:

Biggest thing I worry about when banding is making sure I see them pee...then I know they are ok :wink: