wethering

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bluecollar, Feb 5, 2008.

1. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    I put wethering bands on our 2 nigi dwarf bucklings 5 days ago. How long should this take? Is there anything I need to be watching for?

They have had tetanus antitoxin, covexin8, MuSe (recommended by vet) and have been wormed.

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    It takes a while, I'm trying to remember, I think with my Nubians it took at least 3 weeks.

3. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    I haven't banded any personally but I have heard it to take 3-4 weeks.

PS: I see you are in NE Arkansas. So am I. How about those storms last night? Anyways what vet do you use. You can PM me if you want.

4. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    We were fortunate here, no storm damage. Lots of rain though. I use Hollaway in Walnut Ridge.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I band my mini's and it can take up to 6 weeks for them to drop off. The one thing to watch for is infection around the band. Redness and oozing as well as a smell are sure indications. Keep them clean and apply a gentled iodine if you see any signs. Usually my babies drop theirs in 4 weeks but some have gone to 6.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep, that is what I was going to say. Do not panic if they are still there after that 4 weeks most people say. i have some that fall off in that time but most take longer

7. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    It takes about anywhere from 3 to 6 wks for them to come off and they will swell a bit and become hard. Just keep a eye on the area for infection and they should do fine if they have their shots. I keep a watch on my boys when they get done.

8. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    They usually fall off between 4-6 weeks.
    I have a little buckling that will be banded in the future.

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    It takes about 5 weeks.

Just a note, do not use Mu-Se on goats, regardless of what your vet says. Mu-Se is a more concentrated shot of selenium and you can easily overdose a goat and kill it from selenium poisoning. Bo-Se is much safer, especially for nigerians.

10. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    After lengthy discussion about this and other health issues on another board, which I was banned from, I vowed to go with advice from my local vet. I read articles about Mu-Se vs. Bo-Se, I was told on the other board to NOT use Mu-Se, but one statement was always prevalent in what I read "ASK YOUR VET".

I did question my vet about Mu-Se when he recommended I give it to nigis. He was polite when I questioned his professional recommendation, but said to give it anyway.

I thank you for your input, but I am going to have to go with what the vet says until he proves he is incompetent.

11. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    the only thing i give my bucklings before banding is CD-T. They all have done perfectly fine on this. So I am sure what you are doing is fine.....I dont know anything about Mu-Se so I cant help you out on that one. I would go with what your vet says if you really trust him.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    http://fiascofarm.com/goats/medications.htm#selenium

I don't want to argue but I just wanted to show you that. This is just my opinion, but unless you are in a selenium deficient area there is a higher risk of your boys getting selenium toxicity from Mu-Se since it is more concentrated and since your boys are nigerians(referring to their smaller size). I can tell you that from reading some debates that were going on Yahoo lists about the subject of Bo-Se vs. Mu-Se, there have been more cases of toxicity with Mu-Se than there have been with Bo-Se.

Just wanted to pass that along :wink:

13. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    Agreed, however my vet has dealt with goats and goat people in this area a lot more than I have.

He asked the weight of each goat and figured the dosage separately for each goat.

Again, appreciate the warning. In fact I appreciate all the help I have received here.

Thanks a million,
    Allen

14. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    I asked the vet for CD-T but he recommended covexin 8 because it was cheaper. Actually what he sold me did not have "covexin 8" on the label, it said "Tetni-Vax". I gave them 4cc each, and stupid me forgot to put it back in the fridge. So now I have to get some more, the vet said to give them 2cc more in 4 weeks.

The vet recommended Tetni-Vax based on cost. Since I have to buy more now, should I go ahead with the same stuff since that is what I gave the first time? No more than I will ever use, the difference is cost is not really an issue with me.

15. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I would go back to the vet and get the same thing to do the booster with.

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    THat's good to know that your vet knows about goats, a lot of vets don't :) If your vet is really experienced then, I would probably trust him more than I would myself :wink: :)

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup best to booster them with what you gave them the shot for in the first place. You want it ot be effective and not have to start all over again.