The Goat Spot Forum banner

wethering

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  StaceyRosado 
#1 ·
I put wethering bands on our 2 nigi dwarf bucklings 5 days ago. How long should this take? Is there anything I need to be watching for?

They have had tetanus antitoxin, covexin8, MuSe (recommended by vet) and have been wormed.

#5 ·
I band my mini's and it can take up to 6 weeks for them to drop off. The one thing to watch for is infection around the band. Redness and oozing as well as a smell are sure indications. Keep them clean and apply a gentled iodine if you see any signs. Usually my babies drop theirs in 4 weeks but some have gone to 6.

#6 ·
liz said:
I band my mini's and it can take up to 6 weeks for them to drop off. The one thing to watch for is infection around the band. Redness and oozing as well as a smell are sure indications. Keep them clean and apply a gentled iodine if you see any signs. Usually my babies drop theirs in 4 weeks but some have gone to 6.
Yep, that is what I was going to say. Do not panic if they are still there after that 4 weeks most people say. i have some that fall off in that time but most take longer

#9 ·
It takes about 5 weeks.

Just a note, do not use Mu-Se on goats, regardless of what your vet says. Mu-Se is a more concentrated shot of selenium and you can easily overdose a goat and kill it from selenium poisoning. Bo-Se is much safer, especially for nigerians.

#10 ·
After lengthy discussion about this and other health issues on another board, which I was banned from, I vowed to go with advice from my local vet. I read articles about Mu-Se vs. Bo-Se, I was told on the other board to NOT use Mu-Se, but one statement was always prevalent in what I read "ASK YOUR VET".

I did question my vet about Mu-Se when he recommended I give it to nigis. He was polite when I questioned his professional recommendation, but said to give it anyway.

I thank you for your input, but I am going to have to go with what the vet says until he proves he is incompetent.

goathappy said:
It takes about 5 weeks.

Just a note, do not use Mu-Se on goats, regardless of what your vet says. Mu-Se is a more concentrated shot of selenium and you can easily overdose a goat and kill it from selenium poisoning. Bo-Se is much safer, especially for nigerians.

#12 ·
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/medications.htm#selenium

I don't want to argue but I just wanted to show you that. This is just my opinion, but unless you are in a selenium deficient area there is a higher risk of your boys getting selenium toxicity from Mu-Se since it is more concentrated and since your boys are nigerians(referring to their smaller size). I can tell you that from reading some debates that were going on Yahoo lists about the subject of Bo-Se vs. Mu-Se, there have been more cases of toxicity with Mu-Se than there have been with Bo-Se.

Just wanted to pass that along :wink:

#13 ·
Agreed, however my vet has dealt with goats and goat people in this area a lot more than I have.

He asked the weight of each goat and figured the dosage separately for each goat.

Again, appreciate the warning. In fact I appreciate all the help I have received here.

Thanks a million,
Allen

goathappy said:
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/medications.htm#selenium

........ I can tell you that from reading some debates that were going on Yahoo lists about the subject of Bo-Se vs. Mu-Se, there have been more cases of toxicity with Mu-Se than there have been with Bo-Se.

Just wanted to pass that along :wink:

#14 ·
I asked the vet for CD-T but he recommended covexin 8 because it was cheaper. Actually what he sold me did not have "covexin 8" on the label, it said "Tetni-Vax". I gave them 4cc each, and stupid me forgot to put it back in the fridge. So now I have to get some more, the vet said to give them 2cc more in 4 weeks.

The vet recommended Tetni-Vax based on cost. Since I have to buy more now, should I go ahead with the same stuff since that is what I gave the first time? No more than I will ever use, the difference is cost is not really an issue with me.

alyssa_romine said:
the only thing i give my bucklings before banding is CD-T. They all have done perfectly fine on this. So I am sure what you are doing is fine.....I dont know anything about Mu-Se so I cant help you out on that one. I would go with what your vet says if you really trust him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.