Wethering

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ezzrider, Jul 14, 2010.

1. ezzrider

ezzrider New Member

Jul 14, 2010
    We had our 9 week old nigerian/pygmy wethered by the vet yesterday. We have a total of 4 pet goats and do not intend on having any more. The vet advised keeping the newly wethered male separate from the other goats for 3 to 5 days. Anyone have input on the time frame to keep separated?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what method did he use to wether? how old is the wether?

I don't separate mine because I wether before they are mature enough to do any breeding anyway :p

3. ezzrider

ezzrider New Member

Jul 14, 2010
    As noted in my post my male is 9 weeks old. The vet used a surgical method to wether my male. I of course was not in the room at the time. I am not separating the male to stop breeding just as a precaution with the after effects of the surgery procedure. I was told it was better to keep him separated to keep the area clean as it will heal from the inside out. I have his mother, sister and another female goat.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With an open wound, I assume he cut the scrotum, it would be best to have him in an area where he can see his herdmates, this will lessen the stress of being totally separated. He may be "off" for a few days but be sure he is drinking plenty....I offer kool aid water or gatorade when mine seem to be not drinking enough. Once he scabs up you should be ok with him joining the herd.

5. ezzrider

ezzrider New Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Thanks. Yes he cut the scrotum. Actually we have him in a large cage located in our family room and he cannot actually see the rest of the goats. That is the problem. I actually slept in a recliner last night so he would not be alone and cry. My wife is sleeping in the recliner tonight. He crys if left alone. We live on 3 acres and have only one goat pen and goat house with no other pens. He seems to be drinking, eating and peeing/pooping ok but I may also use the gatorade.

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I think 5 days would be good, but I band my bucklings so not totally sure. If you could put a buddy in with him, like a buck, wether, or doe kid that will help him recover. Not good to stress him out more than necessary by completely seperating him.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how much of an open wound? Me personally I would spray it with blu-kote and put him out with the herd. THats what I have done when I had to cut it.

8. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I've never separated any of mine after getting "fixed". It stresses them more imo. Just keep a watch for flies this time of year. I spray them with horse spray (except in that area) then rub some skin-so-soft on the hind end. If you notice any bugging him, reapply. I don't think they like the blu kote either. :greengrin:

Gina

PS Jelly beans seem to make them heal faster. :laugh: Or maybe that's just mine.

9. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I use Blue Kote sometimes, especially when my girls get to fighting and knock each others' scurs off, but let me tell you, I once sprayed that stuff on a fence cut I got on my forearm and that stuff STINGS like crazy. Being male, I can't imagine spraying it on a wound "down there" would be terribly comfortable.
    Farnham makes a fly repellent for wounds that works great. It's called SWAT and is a goopy stuff that you can put right on a wound. It keeps ALL the flies away and lasts all day. I put it on my ears and the back of my neck when I'm cleaning pens or the henhouse. Hey, maybe I'm nuts but I won't use anything on my goats that's not safe for me. :)

10. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    My vet threatens to charge double if someone brings in an animal with Blu Kote. :p He says it gets all over his scrubs and everything else. He said it's nothing but colored alcohol. I have it on hand, but have never used it. (def won't use if I'm going to see him) :laugh:

Gina

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    works wonders believe me. its more then colored alcohol and he should know that :roll:

I dislike the fact that a vet will get upset that his clothes got discolored! yeesh how silly and ridiculous

12. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Sp, I am guessing that the surgery was similar to gelding a horse or male dog. In that case I would put some Swat on the incision and turn him out. He needs exercise to help with swelling and such. Keep an eye on him during the day, put him up in the crate inside the goat pen at night if you want, so he can at least see his buddies.

13. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    I surgically wether my bucklings at 5 weeks old. I soak the area well with Betadine before the procedure and give a little squirt afterward. Then they go right back with the rest of the herd. Have done this over twenty times with no complications.
    The first buckling we decided to keep we waited until he was 3 months old and had the vet do it using anesthesia. Was advised to keep him seperated until the effects of the anesthesia wore off. Hours, not days.
    Vets with sound knowledge of goats are rare. Some believe goats are "just like sheep." Or "little cattle." Not all vets are created equal.

14. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I agree with the others about just turning him back out with the others. He will probably be less stressed that way, and you have the added benefit of him up and moving around to lessen the swelling/stiffness (plus you and your wife can sleep peacefully in your own beds, too!). With our horses we just hosed them off a couple times a day and used that time to check for any problems at the same time.

15. LouLou

LouLou New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Wellington, CO
    I am new to this and have 3 new males (twins 5 1/2 weeks and one who will be 4 weeks on the 23rd). I'm thinking of keeping one as a buck, but wethering the other two - maybe wether all three. Is banding still ok or is it politically incorrect or harmful to the goats? If I keep one as a buck, he'd be very limited in who he could breed with since he's related to 2 of the 4 females I currently have.

Attached Files:

16. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I think it's still "politically incorrect" in all of the books I've read, but we always did it with our steer and it seems quite a few (maybe most) people on here do it that way still.

17. LouLou

LouLou New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Wellington, CO
    thanks. I'm pretty sure my friend Lori (sweetgoats) bands hers and doesn't seem to have any problems. my spouse grew up on a farm and they did all their animals that way, so he could probably do it without qualms

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    banding is what i do it works well and I dont have to pay someone to do it.

Your boys are young enough to do this method easily too.

19. LouLou

LouLou New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Wellington, CO
    thanks; Lori says she does hers about 2 1/2 to 3 months (to make sure they're "ready" I guess). I think I'll be comfortable with that. I'm also thinking I'll wether them all because their dispositions are so good now; they eat out of my hands and are comfortable around us humans; I'd like to keep it that way so they can all stay together.

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah boys tend to be much more docial then does. I have a buck that I just enjoy hanging with when I go see him. He is just a lovebug. I have doll baby does too dont get me wrong but as a general rule boys are friendlier