Wethers?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Feb 21, 2010.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I've had a really difficult time telling when my does where in heat since I don't have a buck,and so they are due later than I would have liked. Does anyone run a wether with there does? I heard that they will act "bucky" if a doe is in heat. Just wondered if it would be a good idea to get one or not. I will have more does this year than last year though so not sure if that would make a difference. :? I know wethers don't really need grain though,so how do you handle that? My goats all eat in the same pen so the wether would probably sneak some to. I have fullsize goats,so would a fullsize wether be best or a mini?

2. Rainbow Meadows Farm

Rainbow Meadows Farm New Member

May 26, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I run 3 wethers with my herd. I have 1 that really lets me know when the girls are in heat. They started out as pets and have earned their keep in my herd.
    It is a personal choice.

3. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    I have a herd of does, and their is a buck and three wethers in the herd[they are my pets, though all my goats are. They were the first goats I got lol] . The wethers spend more time "playing around" with the buck then they do the does. But thats with the buck around. Not sure if it would be different without him. Think it would depend on the wether.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, it definitely depends on the wether. Mine is pretty useless in that department. He will try to mount the does occassionally but there is no rhyme or reason to when or why he does it. He does not act any more interested in them when they are in heat than he does the rest of the time....

5. I have a few does that even help in that area. Maybe you could get one of those? Just another option for you. When anyone comes in heat here Jordan and a few others act bucky. lol

6. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I have one wether in with my girls and he is no help at all. The only time he pays attention is if they are fighting and he will get inbetween them to stop the fight.

7. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    My wether had a bad day yesterday. He got in between two the alpha nannies and one of them got her horn in his ear somehow. I've never heard a critter holler in quite that pitch before as Patty walked around with Tripod hanging on her horns.

I scrambled to get out there but he shook himself loose before I got over the fence. He looked fine this am, no bleeding and he had an appetite.

He doesn't act bucky at all, whether the nannies are in season or not.

Tripod may have a really bad day next month. Fire department fund raiser coming up pretty soon. :shocked: :help:

8. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Ok,thanks guys,I probably wont get one then. Hopefully my new does make it a little easier for me lol

9. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    The wethers I currently have are tell tale signs for me. They mount the does in heat and the does always act like they really like them when they are in heat. They are good company and usually nice. My boys are super nice...not aggressive at all.