The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the weather turned hot we pulled out the ice....Our goats milk taste great..but the heat was starting to change that...

Before the temperature rise, we milked, strained and put the quart size mason jar of milk in the freezer we have in the barn..this milk would be in the freezer for two hours...Now we milk, strain and put the quart size jar of milk in the icechest filled with ice water..by the time we bring it in the house its so COLD..it will turn slushy in the freezer if left longer than 30 minutes...
and the taste??? WOW so much better!!!

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I learned that if i want good tasting milk I need to chill it IMMEDIATELY in the hot summer. So I do something similar and I put an ice pack in the milk bucket. It instantly starts to chill the milk and the milk lasted so much longer.

We would run out of ice to quickly (dont have an icemaker) so I couldnt use ice so I came up with the icepack option that seems to work perfectly.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a great idea...I might stick a few ice packs in there as well : ) I bought ice trays and we keep them filled...Night milking goes straight in freezer bags and the freezer so we only need the ice in the AM..so far it works..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts