The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have heard that dark beer (stout, ale, etc.) is good for rumen health and function.
How much could be given at a time and what to do about the carbonation/nitrogenation?
Do goats metabolize the alcohol rapidly?
Also have heard that it works better/quicker than probiotics?
Would this be a good idea to give as a "treat" once in awhile?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
Dark beer needs to be flat. You give 6 ounces at a time. You would only really give it when there is a problem. You'd want to give both dark beer and probiotics.
By flat, open it up, pour into a bowl and let it sit on your counter until it's room temperature. DO NOT microwave to flatten it.

·
Super Moderator
31,761 Posts
I don't necessarily worry about it being flat, but def. room temp. Dark beer and Probiotics make a great team when rumen is compromised. I like how Nigeriandwarfowner707 stated it, Beer to jump start, probiotics to support.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
I don't necessarily worry about it being flat, but def. room temp. Dark beer and Probiotics make a great team when rumen is compromised. I like how Nigeriandwarfowner707 stated it, Beer to jump start, probiotics to support.
It shouldn't be artificially flat. It needs just a hint of carbonation to move through the rumen well. But once it's room temperature and has been opened, the majority of the fizz goes away and it's perfect.

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really helpful, thank you...Just for fun, I gave them a couple of drops and dipped a little piece cracker into it to see what they would think of it and they really liked it..so will keep some handy in my goat "stash".

·
Super Moderator
14,571 Posts
What it is, from my understanding, is dark beer is the closest thing you will find that has the same PH as the rumen. Probiotics is putting good bacteria back into them.
Dark beer is great for a rumen that has shut down, probiotics is for when they have the runs and it’s a bit compromised.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I saw the amazing thing dark beer does for a goat who’s rumen has shut down last week! That stuff is amazing!! You can read about it in my post last week.

Literally I saw it work very quickly. I will always have some for only goats. We don’t drink beer so it was quite comical going to the store and asking what I should get for my goat. Looking for dark beer. Lol.

But that stuff worked! It calmed him down too. As my wether was very depressed and i think had anxiety cause all the girls were gone to breeding farms. He and his buddy were left and he was well aware of the change. I won’t ever do this again. Girls will have to breed on different schedules. Lol.

I don’t think I let the beer sit too long. And 6 oz by the way is quite a bit of drenching. Lol. He didn’t like the beer either. But once most of it was in him...it was amazing the results!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I had good results with the beer. May snapped back to her normal self much faster than usual - one single dose of beer, as opposed to molasses (or something similar) 2-3 times per day for 2-3 days.

Now I have a new question. Can I keep the rest of the opened beer for next time? How long does flat beer keep? Do you refrigerate it?

Google was no help because, of course, most people have no use for flat beer. Lol

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Oh that is great you had good results with May and the beer! I don't have a answer for you regarding the opened beer. I kept my opened beer in our tack room to use again. And it was there for a few days. It is cold in our tack room right now. I am not sure if you could keep it in the tack room during the summer?

Anyone else have answers?

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Oh that is great you had good results with May and the beer! I don't have a answer for you regarding the opened beer. I kept my opened beer in our tack room to use again. And it was there for a few days. It is cold in our tack room right now. I am not sure if you could keep it in the tack room during the summer?

Anyone else have answers?
You can put the beer in a mason jar or other with good lid and put it in the fridge. @goathiker said as long as it's clear and not cloudy it's ok to use and can be kept for a couple months.
I've been keeping a flat beer in my fridge as a just in case thing every two months I dump it into my compost and flatten a new one and in the fridge it goes. It was great to have on hand when I needed it recently and I figure a six pack a year is cheap insurance next to losing a goat.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
You can put the beer in a mason jar or other with good lid and put it in the fridge. @goathiker said as long as it's clear and not cloudy it's ok to use and can be kept for a couple months.
I've been keeping a flat beer in my fridge as a just in case thing every two months I dump it into my compost and flatten a new one and in the fridge it goes. It was great to have on hand when I needed it recently and I figure a six pack a year is cheap insurance next to losing a goat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.