What about nigi angora or nigi cashmere mix?

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by kannm, Mar 28, 2009.

1. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    We have two nigis, could they be bred to a fiber buck?

Would their coloring be a problem? I think it would be fun to have multi-colored fiber, but maybe no one would want to buy any.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am sorry that I don't have an answer for you, but I am hoping some of the fiber people will be able to tell you the answers.

I do know that they do "pygora's" alot around here. They are a pygmy buck and an angora doe. However, I do know that sometimes, the kids do not come out with fiber and more of the pygmy coat - so that would be a concern and quite possibly coloring - but I am not sure :shrug:

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, NDG's do produce a fair amount of cashmere. I'm not sure about the fine-ness (is that a word?lol) of it...and the staple is not as long. And of course, you'd be breeding a smaller goat...with smaller amount of cashmere...it would definately be a specialty market. The chances of "parti" colored goats is high, so you'd be producing fiber that is...some would call it "varigated" some would call it "contaminated".

I'm not sure about the milking aspect, larger goat means more milk? I'm not sure even an excellent goat could be expected to produce kids, fiber and milk very long, that might be to much to expect.

Then again, you'd have a goat that is not a pure bred, larger then an NDG, smaller then a Cashmere (who's not really a LARGE goat in the first place) that's not AS GOOD AS either parent in the parent specialty. So, sure you can do it...but, except as a novelty, why?

Oops, just me rumenating! :scratch:

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I have no idea how that would go. Here in Australia any crosses including cashgora and pygora are NCV (no commercial value) so they basically dont exist here.

5. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Then it does not sound like a good idea. It would probably be better just to let our nigis be nigis.

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oops, I just re-read the original post...of course you wouldn't want to breed a small NDG Doe to a larger male, guess I should have said that first. When they breed crosses, they always breed a NDG Buck to the larger doe. :doh:

And of course, Keren said it best! Thanks Keren :thumbup: