The Goat Spot Forum banner

What age can I worm kids?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  MisFit Ranch 
#1 ·
I have 3 11 week olds that need dewored but I’ve heard the blood brain barrier isn’t formed completely so is that true? And what age is safe to worm? I’ll be worming with ivermectin injectable (orally) btw

#4 ·
I would use valbazen or Cydectin sheep drench. Goathiker and I did a study years ago and we found studies that show ivimec does pass the BBB and can cause brain damage. We never found an actual age to be safe. But we deemed 6 months based on BBB. Many have no issue..but there is always that chance. Therefore waiting until they are 6 months to use ivomec is best imo.
With that said, yes do have a fecal done to see what if anything they are dealing with. If they are anemic and showing signs of over load, deworm them and fecal in 10 days.

#5 ·
I would use valbazen or Cydectin sheep drench. Goathiker and I did a study years ago and we found studies that show ivimec does pass the BBB and can cause brain damage. We never found an actual age to be safe. But we deemed 6 months based on BBB. Many have no issue..but there is always that chance. Therefore waiting until they are 6 months to use ivomec is best imo.
With that said, yes do have a fecal done to see what if anything they are dealing with. If they are anemic and showing signs of over load, deworm them and fecal in 10 days.
thank you, will check their famancha when I go out there, the problem with doing fecal is that the nearest vet is 1 hour away and I dont have stuff to do fecals or do I lnow anyone who does, I do plan to start doing them soon.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars
#6 ·
Mail a fecal sample into meadow mist labs..they are only $6 a sample for each test. This will do a good over view which includes coccidia. Liverfluke and lung worm are separate tests and elected. They will email results to you which includes the name of each parasite and how many were found

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.