What age do you breed your does?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Adam Spires, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Adam Spires

Adam Spires Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Ohio
    So I had 4 does born in December 2019 and three of them are obviously about 80% of their mother's weights, so I bred two of them in August (one was accidental lol) and I bred the third one about 4 days ago. And then I had two boer does who I waited 3 YEARS to breed. I'm just curious if other people are like me and think that you have to think about the individual doe or if you think otherwise? Just curious! Add any thoughts you have on this topic!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ALBoerGoats

ALBoerGoats Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    I look at the individual doe. I have a 13 month old that I am waiting on breeding because she is just not quite as mature as I'd like. And then I have an 11 month old doe who is 130 lbs and just got bred a couple weeks ago.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    We breed 18 to 24 months here. 80% of adult weight is the least ill breed a doe. Usually by this age we are there and some. We raise dairy goats.

4. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I like my does at 1 year old. Or as close to that mark as I can. I just like their body to get full nourishment and growth before I tax it with pregnancy.
    I also only breed my girls once a year. I think after 5 months of pregnancy..3 months of feeding..then 4 months to recoup. I think my girls deserve the rest. Lol lol :bookgoat:

Sfgwife likes this.
  5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I breed at either 6-8 months old or at around 18 months old depending on the doe and a few other factors.

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Really you should always look at the individual. While there may be generalities in your herd, it should never be automatic that a doe is bred at a certain age or even a certain weight. Many factors should go into it. If you have a healthy herd, then you see fewer anomalies.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    We wait until at least 12 months. Many of our does are 100lbs by 5-6 months, but we still wait until they turn a year.

With how our kidding and breeding seasons line up, most of our does aren’t bred until at least 15 months.

9. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    It definitely should depend on the doe, how mature she is physically and mentally. We tend to breed our does at about 1 1/2 years old or so, but mostly because we plan to breed for Jan-Mar kids, so if they are turning 1 in Jan-Mar, well, we don't start breeding until August. My kids have shown over the years, so we try not to breed during show season so the buck doesn't loose a lot of weight before state fair.

Years past, we have bred does at 10 months, we had an oops breeding of a 7 month old doe once. Those does had no issues. Trying to recall but I think it was 2014 the last time we bred a doe under a year old, and I was leery, and feel it really stunted her, she developed toxemia and nearly lost her, lost one of her babies. The only full term, delivered, live baby I can recall losing all these years, and most days forget that we lost that one (now that particular year our feeding program was awful, we lost her older sister to toxemia with LARGE triplets, and this doe mourned horribly for her sister, so that could very well be a big part of why she got sick, who knows...).
    The doe ended up being a really good producer, but again she just stopped growing and had to really work her through the end of a couple of pregnancies, great mom otherwise, great kids.
    So that kind of burnt me wanting to breed under 1 year.

10. Adam Spires

Adam Spires Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Ohio
    oh I'm so sorry she got stunted :( I've bred at all ages and I find that breeding under a year helps them develop into more mature looking does. They get deeper bodied and wider I find and they gain more weight in the process. I guess what works for some people doesn't work for others lol

11. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Individual.......to a degree. I wouldn’t breed a 4 month old simply because they are big enough. For the most part 99% of my kids I feel comfortable if they got bred at a year old but I don’t because at the moment I really don’t want the stress and lack of a life that comes with kidding twice a year lol so even though they are technically ready they are held back to kid at 2. Although I keep debating on having two kidding seasons but usually when I get done with the first round I say nope lol and honestly if they still are not big enough at 19 months they are not something that I want to keep adding their lines to my herd so they are culled.

12. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I recently stalled next to an ancient old lady at a dairy goat show who snorted at the dry yearling class. "Dry yearlings are a fat, lazy waste of hay! If you can't breed them the first year, then take 'em to the sale barn because they're not worth breeding anyway!" She totally cracked me up. She'd had experience with every full-sized dairy breed going back decades, and although I didn't quite agree with her I did see her point.

I see nothing wrong with waiting a year to breed, but I also see nothing wrong with breeding them young unless they are sickly or stunted. Early pregnancy is perfectly natural and I think it can even make them grow better. It's certainly preferable to waiting until they're completely mature! I bought some 3-year-old maiden does one year and they both had problems conceiving and giving birth. My worst kidding problems have all happened with goats that were bred older. For some reason my youngsters all seem to breeze through without a hitch.