What age to breed a doe?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Riot_My_Love, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

Okay, don't get me wrong, I know what I'm doing, I just need some advice.

I plan to breed my new doe (she will be 8 weeks when I pick her up) next year, but should I breed her at 1 year, 14 months, or can I breed her at 10 months? Is 10 months even an option?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would recommend the 1 year, 14 months.... or a year minimum.... also depending on her size...how much does she weigh?

3. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    Well the first question I would ask is what are you trying to breed for ? a certain date, holiday or just to breed ?

You can breed as early as 10 months but it could lead to problems. I wont breed any of my goats unless they are over 1 year old. A matter of fact I will be holding my current crop of mama for awhile after there birthdays as Im shooting to be breeding for fair time and pen sales.

alot will depend on the buck also that you breed her to a big buck might give the girl problems or injur her during breeding also.

these are all just my opions though every one should have the option to try for them selves and see if it works for them.

4. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

Okay, thought so.

Just to breed & sell kids. The buck's estimated -mature- weight is 250. He's a big boy, lol.

5. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    hmmm are you trying to hit certain markets for selling ?

When Im breeding to sale Im trying to hit certain dates to have babies ready for sale for example our fair here is in june they need to weigh between 70 to 110 lbs so we need to have babies in november and december so we have to breed in july.

Also if im trying to breed for certain religious holiday based on the local population ill set out a breeding plan for that also.

Other then that two I breed for color and that can be at anytime.

and if I was trying to breed for big auction houses I would try to set breeding for when they are demand that away Im not taking my kids to market when other producers are there also dragging down prices.

right now I have 20 does so im working on breeding stock, animals for fairs and pets. Though I'm probaly going to dip into my saving and buy a bunch of weathers to feed out I still have close to 3k bales sitting in the barn. The problem is finding a group of good weathers cheap.