What age?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by PotterWatch, Feb 17, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    At what age do you band? I have one boy who will be banded, but I am unsure of the best age to do it. What is the most commonly accepted age?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Do you mean banding to wether or banding for horns?

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    If you are talking about banding for wethering, I try to wait until 7-8 weeks. Maybe, just maybe 9 weeks if I can. I try to wait as long as possible. :)

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    I'm talking about it for wethering.

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I've seen it done as early as 6 weeks and have personally done it around 8 weeks. This year we'll be doing it around 6-10 depending on pick-up so I can ensure they recooperate before pick-up.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    For me it really depends on the size of the boys. I have some boys that have very large boy parts at 6 weeks so they have to be banded and others that are not as large until they are more like 8-10 weeks.
    The main thing is make sure both of the testicles have dropped.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do my boys at 6-8 weeks, depends on when they are to be picked up.......and it also deends on when they start showing serious interest in the does!

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    Well, one of mine has been showing serious interest since he was about 2-3wks old, lol. He is staying intact though, so he will go to his new home at 8wks old (unless I need to separate him earlier... how do I tell?). The other boy isn't as interested in the girls and he is the one we will be banding.

9. Candy

Candy New Member

As soon as they can get the penis out of the sheath, it's time to worry! :sigh: It differs, which is why some band earlier than others. Mine have ALL been able to do that by the time they are 10 wks old so I band at 8 weeks. Just my own observations, of course! :worried:
    Candy :sun:

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Would it surprise you Candy that Dorcas's buck is only two weeks and he can get it out? :shocked:

11. Candy

Candy New Member

Good Grief :hair: What a little horn dog! :GAAH: I'm VERY surprised and VERY glad that I am able to teach mine that abstenence is the way to go until they are over 2 m. :ROFL:
    Candy :sun:

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    oh yes, he is a naughty little thing. I don't think it was a good idea on my part to tell him he was going to stay a buck.

He was trying to flirt with both Xcell and Anna today!!! :help:

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hehe good chuckle -- thanks Ashely!!

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    okay sort of on this topic, I've been meaning to ask ...

My 6 MONTH OLD boer buckling, yes you read that right, 6 MONTHS, cannot get it out. I've never seen this before. I've used 3 mth old bucklings to join with the does previously, and they've had no problem. This buck is out of my good doe, Charlotte, so I was hoping to keep him intact, but it just doesnt seem like his equipment is in working order. He was my cocci kid at about 3 mths old so maybe that has had an effect? He mounts all the other boys and carries on like normal, just cant actually exteriorise the penis. What do you think? I think it might be time to take his testicles off lol

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm interesting, I wouldnt give up totaly but can a vet take a look at him?

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Hmm, well you guys know I have a pretty good relationship with my vet and I'm usually the first to suggest a trip to the vet.

But between Diva dying, Charlotte's caesar, Vanity's prolapse and Dancer's eye, I still have around $960 to pay off the bill (thats after already paying a similar amount).

So, I'm not hugely keen to go see the vet again for something not critical.