The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Maggie, I bought her 2 months ago from a lady that bought her at auction. When I got her she had sore mouth but looked good. She wasn't eating for me and I chalked it up to sore mouth but she is all healed up and still wont eat for me. She will eat sweet feed a bit better than the stuff I give my girls but still no a lot. She won't touch hay! She eat grass fine but never a full rumen.

She has runny eyes, she has sunk in eyes, she shivers, she doesn't eat, she has a cough, she sometimes has white snot, she has scours off and on, she doesn't have a voice, and she lips on her rear left leg.

I've given her a 10 day treatment of PenG and B complex. When I picked her up she was just wormed with Cydectin sheep drench. I've had her on an herbal wormer.

What am I missing?!?
The first picture is when I got her and the second is today.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Does she have access to loose minerals? I can’t really see her tail very good in the picture, but it looks like her tail is bent or crooked to the side? This can be an indication of mineral deficiency.

·
Super Moderator
32,306 Posts
Sweet looking doe. I agree..sometimes we have to start at the beginning. I would also test for CAE which can cause them to struggle. A fecal to Include lung worm and liver fluke. I would also do acute herbal dosing, which doesn't only address parasites but is good food. Keep a few choices of good browse cuts for her to munch. Some take longer to adjust to new feed. Add some form of alfalfa. I would give pobiotics and 6 oz dark beer then probiotics daily. B complex as a support. While you figure her out

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Poor baby, do you have a vet who can help?

I agree give 6 ounces of dark beer, and give probiotics daily. You can also give b complex shots daily.
Also start her on fresh raw garlic cloves, 4 peeled cloves a day. Our goats love them if they are covered in peter pan honey peanut butter.

I would mail a fecal to meadowmist lab, and have all 3 tests done: MeadowMist Lab Service ~ Current Services

What is her temperature?

What is her FAMACHA score?

Does she have any friends in the herd?

Is it cold outside where you are?

Does she get any alfalfa? I'd see if she likes a mix of 2 parts alfalfa pellets 1 part beet pulp.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Her teeth say she's 5+ years old. Her blood tests came back negative for all 4 diseases. I think I finally found a goat vet within 45 minutes of me so I will give them a call Monday morning! I had her out foraging today and she loved all of the tree branches I pulled down for her.

I have her with the rest of my herd only because her tests came back negative but she still has me worried.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
So glad you figured out what it was!
What are you deworming her with?

Anemia treatment:
Daily red cell (iron supplement), 6 ml per 100 lbs
Daily B-12 shots, preferably the prescription concentration from your vet. Dosage for the 3000 mcg kind is 4cc per 100 lbs.
High protein food
Make sure the goat stays hydrated, give electrolytes if scouring
Green leaves

·
TKC Farms
2,641 Posts
Sweet looking doe. I agree..sometimes we have to start at the beginning. I would also test for CAE which can cause them to struggle. A fecal to Include lung worm and liver fluke. I would also do acute herbal dosing, which doesn't only address parasites but is good food. Keep a few choices of good browse cuts for her to munch. Some take longer to adjust to new feed. Add some form of alfalfa. I would give pobiotics and 6 oz dark beer then probiotics daily. B complex as a support. While you figure her out
Can lung worm and liver fluke be seen in the fecal with a microscope?

·
Super Moderator
32,306 Posts
Lungworm needs a special test. Meadowmist labs only cost 6 bucks to run it. ;)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, so she's getting worse, she's eat hay and grass a bit better but still doesn't want grain and barely drinks water. She is now standing weird and ger cough is worse as well.
The vet said to give her a 5 day treatment of Panacur horse and cattle wormer but all I could find was the horse past and the vet said that would be fine. Also to dose her with red cell and keep up with the B complex.

She is eating the Sweetlix meat maker like crazy and I have her free ranging all the time. We started tube feeding molasses and salt water once every two days to help keep her alive.
Pictures of what she looks like just standing around.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Oh no. I’m sorry to hear this. Did she get tested for lung worm?
Also I didn’t see any pictures in that post.
You’re working so hard for this goat. I hope the new treatment gives a quick and lasting recovery.

ETA: pictures showed up for me now. That poor goat. Poor you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts