The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My buck is 3 years old now. Last August he got pinkeye for the first time (left eye). It was windy, we figured he got dust or debris in his eye. I treated with Tobrex antibiotic eye ointment. (I am in Canada, we don’t have access to the same medications US citizens have). It took 12 days of application.
In January he had a bout of squinting and watery eye (left eye). It was very cold at that time. I thought I saw dirt in it, but couldn’t get it flushed out. After 5 days of treatment with Tobrex it was cleared up.
In February, another cold spell, his right eye had watered heavily overnight, his left eye a little bit. 6 days of treatment until it was clear.
In March, after a windy day, his right eye was leaky. I flushed it, wiped the outside of it and it looked ok during the day, but squinted at the end of the day. Flushed twice daily with saline. After 10 days of that I saw the telltale red of pinkeye and keeping eye closed.
12 days of treatment with Tobrex after that, with him appearing blind in that eye, but full of energy, and it finally opened again. And then the other eye started tearing. 😩
The vet came out yesterday and did eye swabs to send in to the lab to culture.
The vet saw the bottom eyelashes looked broken off. He thinks maybe it is entropion. I questioned why now and not right at birth. He said maybe it is minor and only bothers him when it’s windy or irritants get into it. He has a plan to treat for that (suture, I think), if the culture doesn’t give us answers.
I asked about chlamidia. He said that is hard to detect. We will see what the lab says.
I am so stressed 😥 .
I am writing this up in case someone has some other thought of what could be causing recurring pinkeye in my bucky.
I read listeria organisms can also cause it. He doesn’t show any sign of listeriosis.
I also read entropion is congenital. Ughh. This is my one and only buck.
Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,094 Posts
Try not to fret too much until the results are back. Easier said than done, I know. You've got this. Hopefully the results won't be the worst case scenario we all sometimes seem to conjure up when a loved one (human or animal) is ailing and waiting on test results and/or procedures. ((Hugs))

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try not to fret too much until the results are back. Easier said than done, I know. You've got this. Hopefully the results won't be the worst case scenario we all sometimes seem to conjure up when a loved one (human or animal) is ailing and waiting on test results and/or procedures. ((Hugs))
Aww, thanks. You are kind to help me try unclench my jaw...

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sending love to you and your goat family. I hope you get results back soon and Jeffrey gets back to his dancing, springy joyful self💕
Thanks!!!
His eys are both open today, which lightens my heart!
Also, he has not acted sick through this, but has been mostly cheerful, even when he was blind on one side. I believe he can see out of both eyes again, as he was running like a crazed thing yesterday, being so happy. We are treating both eyes one more day today, to be safe.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,640 Posts
Thanks!!!
His eys are both open today, which lightens my heart!
Also, he has not acted sick through this, but has been mostly cheerful, even when he was blind on one side. I believe he can see out of both eyes again, as he was running like a crazed thing yesterday, being so happy. We are treating both eyes one more day today, to be safe.
Well that's good, at least. It would be terrible if he didn't feel good.

Just a thought, maybe giving him some carrots would help. I know carrots are good for eye health. It might not do anything, but it might make you feel like you are doing something! 😅

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,194 Posts
Ok you 2. Lets wait and see what the Vet says. Poor guy. Im glad hes acting better. I do know that pinkeye is very contagious. Have you used vinegar in his stall? Cleaned out his water bucket & feeder with vinegar? It can help kill.any lingering infection. Even wash his face in it...welll....wipe it with vinegar. The tears carry the pinkeye. So whatever he rubbed his eyes on, or tears touched. Can carry the problem.
Hang in there...hes getting better...k?

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well that's good, at least. It would be terrible if he didn't feel good.

Just a thought, maybe giving him some carrots would help. I know carrots are good for eye health. It might not do anything, but it might make you feel like you are doing something! 😅
He is getting cut up carrots as his “reward” once a day after treatment! Also cod liver oil, vitamin C and oregano essential oil.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok you 2. Lets wait and see what the Vet says. Poor guy. Im glad hes acting better. I do know that pinkeye is very contagious. Have you used vinegar in his stall? Cleaned out his water bucket & feeder with vinegar? It can help kill.any lingering infection. Even wash his face in it...welll....wipe it with vinegar. The tears carry the pinkeye. So whatever he rubbed his eyes on, or tears touched. Can carry the problem.
Hang in there...hes getting better...k?
Hi there, thanks for your input! I wipe his cheek with hydrogen peroxide and we always use hand cleaner. The fact that none of the other goats got it kind of tells me it is not the contagious type, but we are treating it as the contagious type anyay. Water buckets get changed and scrubbed with soap twice a day. I will clean his feeder, good idea, even the head holder.
Yes, we will see what the test result says. Hopefully there is some kind of answer there.
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts