What are goats to you?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by empera, Mar 28, 2009.

1. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    To me, my soon-to-be goats will bring me happiness and satisfaction along with the milk and cheese to come in a year. I purchased 3 slaughter house born babies from a local rescue yesterday, and am very happy that I'm going to give the two does and one wether a better life compared to the one they wouldn't have had at all. :) Two nubians - brother and sister with a boer cross doe. (I bring em home I believe tomorrow or Monday)

To you, could it be just that goats provide meat, milk, cheese, soap, fiber? Or are they more than just that? Loving animals that provide you with a little extra something for your care?

:) I'm interested in what people think.

You can always post as many pictures as you want - we all love pictures!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome to the goat spot.... :wave:

I love my boers . :love: ..they are my beloved pets ,they can be stubborn at times ..that is human ...LOL ..well I should say goatie... :wink: they are very smart ...and I love to watch the kids and adults play... :cool: When I sell goats it goes right back into there feed and care.....I enjoy them so much... :wink:

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I love my goaties too. They bring me happiness, make me laugh, and sometimes, maybe sometimes I get a little profit (monetary-wise). :)

They provide milk for drinking, soap-making, and soon. . . cheese-making (once I work up the nerve, seems so complicated!)

4. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I would say that my goats are part of my family. My goats are almost like having another child to me. Too bad I can't keep all my kids outside :ROFL: They bring us happiness, LAUGHTER, milk (if mine ever kid) and endless entertainment. Most of all is the laughter. I've met a lot of friends because of my goats.

5. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    what do goats mean to me well. They are my sanity, with everything happening to me outside the goat world all I have to do is pick up one of the babbies and every worry disapears. Life seem a little better as I look into those big goatey eyes. A soft nuzzle and a kiss takes all the tears away. Being used a jungle gym and climb all over brings a smile and laugh.Watching a very sick baby goat become a healthy goat makes me feel like I have done something important in the world. Cuddle means warmth and love. A a maaaa in the middle of the night means sleepless nights.

Goats to me mean uncodictional love to me. Cause there is nothing like a goat to brighten your day!

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Mine are definitely loved pets, plus the milk. I plan to also start showing as well, my buck is pretty nice so hopefully he'll do all right. They help with my stress level and give me unconditional love. (sounds cheesy doesn't it?) And I hope that I'll make a little money after I actually get my herd going.

I'll add link to the pics of my buck and doe.
    Lyric, my doe
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/ ... 0750-1.jpg

Orion, my buck.
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/ ... 850909.jpg

Lyrae, my buck's dam who recently passed away.
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/ ... 850749.jpg
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/ ... eudder.jpg

7. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Mine are great friends and fun to be around. I use them for milk and soap making. Hopefully cheese. I would love to raise a couple of goats for meat but I am sorry boer goat kids are WAY to cute. I can not even imagine to that. lol.

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My goaties are 4-legged kids to me.....I love my boys! I can be having a bad day and just going out to the barn with them makes it all better :love: !!!!!! My husband has fallen for them to! We love all our 4-legged kids sooooo much, they are less stressful then the 2-legged human ones!

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I love my goats and they are only kids I can have for now...however, I sometimes use them for meat and milk.

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    My goats are part of the family. I like them for their milk and we make cheese. I think baby goats are just the cutest things. I can't imagine life without them. Goats do bring some sanity to an otherwise crazy world.
    I would use caution in buying goats from sale barns or rescue organizations. They could be carrying CAE or CL which can bring heartache up the road.

11. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Everyone seems to love and care very much for them. :)

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My goats are my saving grace. Besides the awesome milk they are my way of filling an empty heart....I live through my girls when they give me those adorable babies, and besides the milk, kids, and other good things I make, the sale of kids goes into the cost for feed.

13. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Goats are funny, joy, sweet, wonderful. Our goats provide milk, laughter, company, curiosity, and time together.

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Well, I'll go against the grain here and say that a very big part of my livestock - goats, sheep, cattle, the occasional pig or horse - is money that pays for me to go to uni.

The goats specifically - I sell the mohair and meat, I also sell breeding stock of all ages, bucks and does. I show them. I use the milk from the dairy does to feed my family and my lambs lol We also slaughter our own meat. I have a couple harness wethers that are used for my own entertainment and also to give childrens rides etc. at various functions.

Having said that, they also keep me sane and they are also my pets. Some more so than others. Like Maddie, an old veteran dairy doe, she will stay even if she doesnt kid, until she dies. She's earned a retirement. And Gizmo - my first ever goat - a grumpy old angora wether - he will never be sold or given away. He stays with me, and thats that. :)

15. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Even if they are slaughtered, they provide us with many benefits. It's just that some get too attached to their animals, and wouldn't dream of giving them away or anything else. (me :))

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    mine started out as just pets, then breeding for a little money to pay for themselves and now I have them for show and breeding. Of course they are still pets but my heart is so into showing. :greengrin:

I know it sounds sort of off but I needed a reason to have them around since I work so much and was going to school (done for 2 years but going back again :doh: ). So having them for show was a very good excuse.

But now with the longer days and me trying to enjoy every single second of the days before I go back to school I spend lots of time with them and it is a lot of fun.

17. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i love my goats. simple as that.

i also love showing, grooming, being around them, and seeing kids. its the best. they're just about, if not friendlier then dogs or cats. :sun: 'luv 'em.

18. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    They're my buddies. The milk benefits are great, and the little income from selling the babies is nice, but I NEVER add up what I spend on these buggers cause then I'd not be happy, lol.

Nothing beats letting them out on the grass on a day I'm not feeling so well. It really perks me up.

19. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    my goats are working members of the family
    Pig is my pack goat and my loyal friend
    when i'm out to pasture he comes up and lays his head on my shoulder
    if i am crying he stands there and lets me make his coat all wet
    Arthur, or whatever buck i have, breeds my girls for me
    the does give me babies and milk
    but they are all my children
    i worry if they are not feeling good and cry like a baby when they pass
    selling tears my heart out even tho i know its part of life
    milking is my therapy
    it is rhytmic and calming in a chaotic and stressful world

20. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I've always had basic pets, cats , dogs, fish, birds, rats, hamsters, and one not-so-typical one, a bush baby. Living with animals makes my life more complete.

As a city dweller, I'd never been around livestock on a daily basis. After being around my daughter's goats at the school farm, I fell in love with them. I love how clever they are, how they appear to view their world, their playfulness, even how demanding they can be at times. I enjoy their company.

I also enjoy learning how to care for them, what they need, how they're put together. That's been fascinating, even though I still don't "get them" completely.

Anna