What are the very best/most informative goat books?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Kelly G, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    I got a gift card for Amazon for Christmas, and I really want to order some good and helpful books.

What have you read that's been helpful? I purchased and read one ("The Goat Handbook" a Barron's book), but it was written at an elementry school reading level...I don't think the information was bad, just the writing was pretty elementry.

I love to read - and want to learn more...but don't want to keep buying books that aren't helpful.

Thanks, guys!!

2. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

I would say buy the Storey's Guides. I have the Raising Dairy Goats and Raising Meat Goats.

I would also subscribe to Goat Rancher. Its mostly for meat goats but its got alot of good information in there. Or maybe Dairy Goat Journal.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a friend of mine has a book called "the best of ruminations" articles from the magazine Ruminations. She loves it and the information we discuss that she learned from it seems right on and good. So I would reccomend it.

I like The Goat Keepers Veterinary Book, Pygmy Goats, management and veterinary care (geared toward the pygmy goat but care and management is the same for all goats). Raising Dairy Goats the Modern Way.

4. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    I just got a new book that is good- How To Raise Goats by Carol A. Amundson My local feed store in town actually had it. Must be fairly new I have never seen it before. Has lots of good info and tons of pictures.

~Shannon

5. Kelly G

Kelly G Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    YEAHHH, guys! Thanks!!!! I couldn't find "The Best of Ruminations" on Amazon...I'm going to go check Ebay.

I still have $20 to spend if anyone thinks of anything else!

Thank you all, very much!

6. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

My new book is Raising meat goats for profit by Gail Bowman. I know your goat isnt a meat goat but it has everything from breeding to Kidding, to feeding, building the barn and pen suitable for the goats, how to pick out goats, and marketing. I just found it really interesting and it was only like 15 dollars.

7. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

The Storey's guides are great, but read the dairy one VERY critically because many things are out of date and have since been researched and proven wrong.

Some others... (all medical, that's the stuff I study most!)

Blackwell's Five-Minute Veterinary Consult: Ruminant
    Scott R. R. Haskell (Editor)

Sheep and Goat Medicine
    D.G. Pugh

Goat Medicine 2nd Ed
    Mary C Smith and David M Sherman

Diseases of the Goat
    John G Matthews

8. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    Natural goat and alpaca care by Pat Coleby

a book by a natural vet

9. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Lori Blackburn writes an excellent bookon Pygmy Goats. SHe's a vet in So Calif, was very active in NPGA and her book would be applicable to any breed, I would think.

10. I have this book and have read it from front to back. It can teach you a lot reguardless of the type of goat you have. I think it is a must.