The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up several goats on Sunday, two are bottle babies, just two and half weeks old. The older goat is covered in lice and now treating everyone for it. My question is, what are these lesions/bumps on the underside of the baby’s tails? Irritation from lice or possibly staph or orf? Also notice bare spot on baby’s nose, is this also from lice? Appreciate any advice and suggestions thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
You know, my kids all got those three years ago and I never figured out what it was. I tried everything I could think of on them and nothing worked. After a few weeks they went away by themselves. The only thing different that year was that it was really wet that spring. The bumps seemed a bit itchy, but otherwise they didn't seem to bother the kids. Some of them had bumps on their bellies and scrotums as well if you felt under the fur. It was just more obvious under the tails.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know, my kids all got those three years ago and I never figured out what it was. I tried everything I could think of on them and nothing worked. After a few weeks they went away by themselves. The only thing different that year was that it was really wet that spring. The bumps seemed a bit itchy, but otherwise they didn't seem to bother the kids. Some of them had bumps on their bellies and scrotums as well if you felt under the fur. It was just more obvious under the tails.
Very strange, they don't seem too bothered by them and they are drinking their milk foraging pooping etc fine. I've started to dab diluted chlorehexidine on them. Hopefully it goes away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I started putting chlorhexidine on about an hour ago with a cotton ball and I followed the dilution instructions on bottle.
How often should I be applying it?
Chlorhexidine will work.

I dilute 10 ounces to 2 ounces, water to Chlorhexidine.

I mix it, then put it into a spray bottle. Spray it on 2 x a day until healed.
ok so don't follow the recommended two tablespoons per gallon on the back?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for everyone’s replies will continue with the chlorehexidine! Have a blessed weekend!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow honestly, can’t believe it’s already clearing up! It’s only been about 2 1/2 days and their tails look way better. Thanks again for everyone’s help.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I'm glad! Chlorhexidine didn't do anything for my babies, which made me frustrated at the time. Nothing else seemed to do any good either. I tried different things on different kids and they all took about 3 weeks to totally clear up regardless of treatment. Oh well. Glad it's working for yours!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts