The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics of my doeling Maggie. She started 3 weeks ago with several areas of what appeared to be cuts at the bottom of her buttocks, just where the leg starts. We had hauled her in the trailer with a horned goat and thought she cut her with her horns. However, upon inspection from the vet ( we were at the fair), she said they were not from horns, but just cuts.

When we came home, I blu-koted them and Iodined them. They seemed to heal up, then the scab would fall off and they would ooze. Some of the worst areas healed, but the hair is gone.

Then, this past Saturday, I noticed several more lesions all over her body. More large ones on her butt/ leg, and several small hairless areas on her head. A large scabby/ bloody area on her face.

Then, Sunday, she started having bumps on her nose and one eye.

Is this soremouth, ringworm, bee/ bug bites...what?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you have a vet do a skin scraping? It just seems odd that it would come back.
Actually, it has never gone away. Some spots healed up, but have no hair. I think she is chewing the hair off on her back legs. This morning there is another large spot on her other leg like the first picture.

I am calling the vet today to see when she can come.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so the vet doesn't know either. She biopsied a spot and took scrapings. It will take a few days for results. I will post when we get them.
Thanks guys. Pray they are good results...

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
Looks fungal to me...but the ones around the nose look different than sores on the body

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so the vet says it will take two weeks to find out.
Today the area around the left eye is white and goopy and more bumpy. There is a bump now on the corner of the right eye. She has several new lesions on the back of her neck near her shoulders, lower rump, teat area, and belly. I squeezed three on the back of her neck and a yellow thick pus like substance came out. Now, I don't think it is cl. Mostly because the sores start as a crusty hairless area for about a day, then a red swollen area with a center, then bloody scabs. It takes about 3 days to go from nothing to that large red lesion. It started on her butt. I had a local boer breeder over and she said maybe some kind of fly bite or mite? She had never seen it either.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What about allergies? Spider or ant bites? Reaction to something she ate.

Try Tea Tree Oil Cream on one or two. NOT ANYWHERE NEAR HER EYES!

·
2,377 Posts
I don't know what is going on with the eye area.... Now the nose area though... one of our goats came down with those exact same type spots on the nose and I tho't that it was weird. If it was in the wetter time of year, I would think... fungus or staph but the Doe had these in the dry hot summer time. We are having a terrible time with aggressive ants this year. Ants and nests are all over and these leave stinging welts much like a milder version of a fire ant. I am wondering now if the nose spots are from ants. That is just a big guess with some logic to how I arrived at that. I noticed them on another goat recently this summer as well. The spot on the leg does look like a bee or bite.

·
2,377 Posts
I actually saw one of the goats dip her nose into an ant nest.. and then was frantically trying to rib them off. Yes.. she had those spots. I am not sure tho if they were caused by ants or not but it does make me wonder. These ants bite and sting! But after looking again at your picture ... it still could be a mild form of sore mouth or fungus.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts