The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I had asked a question earlier about one of my goats and included pics. and everyone was saying that it looked like a Nigerian not a pygmy.....
I bought 3 prego. goats and they were sold as pygmy's (at an auction). in the pics I told who each goat is and weather they were prego or not in the pic. and some of the pics are from when we first got them (and personally I thought they were in a little skinny, but there fat now lol )
the goats are : Aaneei - she has blue/glass eyes. Zaya - she has brown eyes. Lucy- she has brown eyes. Lavender- she has blue/glass eyes and is lucys baby. I also included pics of lucys other baby that died because the dead baby and lavender have different colors so I didn't know if that meant anything.
also I have no idea what any of them were bred to (I was told they were pygmy's bred to pygmy's...)
so what breds are my goats??
(sorry for bad pics of them to) and pics will be commented bc they wont load with this right now :/

·
Super Moderator
59,202 Posts
Many times people just say Pygmy for all miniature goats. They have no idea what breed they really are. Once you can upload pics, we should be able to tell better what they are. They could always be a mix of Pygmy and Nigerian too.

·
1,524 Posts
Yeah, depending on the area miniature goats are referred to as:

Dwarfs
pygmies
dwarf pygmies
Nigerian Pygmies
midgets
Nuberian Dwarves

and any other combos

Pygmies have brown eyes. Nigerians have the blue.

Pygs are cobby. The have shorter legs, usually thicker. Their barrels are usually wider. The differenc ebetween Pygs and Nigies are almost the same as the difference between a meat goat and a dairy. Meat animals are thicker bones and more muscular where dairy animals are leaner and have thinner bones. From a distance, meat goats are more rectangular where dairy goats are triangular.

Nigerians come in a huge variety of colors. Pygmies have only a few authorized colors.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
aaneei Looks Nigerian or Nigerian/Pygmy mix
Zaya Looks Pygmy or Pygmy/Nigerian mix
Lavender looks Nigerian
Lucy looks Nigerian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts