The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Thanksgiving being tomorrow I'm sure we are all getting prepared to stuff ourselves with some delicious food. I think it would be so cool to be able to have a home grown Thanksgiving meal. In previous years I've grown or harvested beans, peas, corn, greens, onions, potatoes, pecans, and meats of ham, venison, chicken, and rabbit. Sadly, this year I wasn't able to provide anything for the table except pecans for the pecan pie and honey for desserts. So what are y'all having for Thanksgiving that you either grew or harvested yourself? Are any of you having a complete meal that you grew yourself?

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
This is the first time in many years I had to buy a turkey and a ham!!

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,103 Posts
Green beans (me) with new red potatoes from groceries. Lima beans (me) with corn from sisters' garden. Pumpkins for the pies. Pickled green tomatoes, red and orange bell peppers, onions, garlic (me) with carrots, and celery from groceries.

I had a most interesting supper while browsing TGS. Had some left over pumpkin pie mixture, so, sprayed a casserole dish, and put the mixture in the oven till done. Gosh was it tasty. There is a possibility I will make "pumpkin custard" on purpose again.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,678 Posts
I had a most interesting supper while browsing TGS. Had some left over pumpkin pie mixture, so, sprayed a casserole dish, and put the mixture in the oven till done. Gosh was it tasty. There is a possibility I will make "pumpkin custard" on purpose again.
Ha!! I just had the exact same thing for supper today! I was helping my grandma cook for tomorrow and we also had some left over pumpkin pie filling. Topped it with whipped cream once it was done baking. It really was tasty and pretty easy! 😄

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
They just don't taste the same either!
Nope. It's not the same at all. But in thinking of things..we do have raw goats milk from our goats, goat cheese we made and lots of farm fresh eggs. Both chicken and duck which we will make Devil (or as I call them, doubled) eggs. Okra did well this year and we do have Pickles my 15 year old canned...So guess we will have a few farm items after all.

Thappy Thanksgiving all.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Definitely more moist and just seemed to have a more (how do I say this) in-depth flavor. I miss having them but when down sizing something has to go.

Also loved baking rabbit before when we still had white new Zealand rabbits. It was more flavorful and if prepared right moist, but if the hubby ended up being late to dinner sometimes it would try to dry out more. (I always baked in a pan of liquid and seasoned).

You all are already making me hungry

Hope everyone has a great thanksgiving tomorrow!

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
774 Posts
We ate every thing before it made it to October lol! That and our garden didn’t have the greatest year. We already had our Thanksgiving today and boy was it good! It is disclosed information on have much apple pie I ate….. Oh and happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Next year I am hoping to have more things that I raised myself! The turkey is from my brother in law, though, so we're at least keeping it in the family.
My aunt texted me this morning asking if I had fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme. I guess grocery stores were not well stocked. I said yep! So we're having some home grown herbs in whatever she's bringing tomorrow. My herb gardening frenzy is good for more than just goat medicine. ;)
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,678 Posts
To answer your question JML Farms....we also are having nothing that we raised/grew ourselves. 😔

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! Funfact: today makes 400 years since the very first Thanksgiving. How cool is that!?! 😁

1 - 20 of 30 Posts