What are you planning on doing? (career wise)

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Sonrise Farm, Oct 13, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    he he, I have NO clue. I'm only a fresh. in HS.

I love art- but they really don't make enough $ Most artists have another job anyway.

---I've thought about vet school in Madison, WI, and I would move back after I was done, not enough ruminant vets here, I could never leave AK for good. I would like pretty much anything in agricultural/ or ag. education

I also love teaching other people, so maybe? But I have another year to figure it out, it gets soo confusing. I just know that I dont want to do something I woud later hate and regret, I just dont know what that is yet.

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I don't know, and I'm a Junior!! I want a job that will enable me to live where I choose to.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I don't know.... and I'm going on 3 years out of High School :slapfloor: Went to two years of college and now I am taking a year off. :help:

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Thats where I want to go to school at, my mom's friend's son goes to school up there and he says its great. They have an awesome veterinary program :)

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah thats what i heard, also my uncle has a place near madison that i could stay at. so i wouldnt have to stay in the city.

6. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    when i grow up i want to be...
    ... :ROFL:
    sorry - i'm almost 40 and it's getting to me

i wanted to be a vet
    then i saw the vet give my horse a shot
    NEXT

i worked my way thru college as a cook and even managed a couple of restaurants
    i decided i wanted to go to culinary school
    (i was in a comm coll until i decided)
    but my mom wanted me to teach
    so i went on to be an English/Spanish high school teacher
    i did 1 week of my internship
    4th grade
    i watched the teacher walk her class out to the buses
    go back to her room
    put her head down on her desk and cry
    NEXT

life happened
    i'm 20 credits and an internship away from having my teaching degree and i have no interest in it
    i am content with where i am at
    would i change if i could go back?
    probably
    but i have my family, my health, and my goats
    what more could a girl ask for

7. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Well first i must finished school :p
    Then i plan on going to University to be a vet
    I kinda wanna be a small animal vet.. but i like big animals too..
    anyway ill make my mind up eventually

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

thats ok Runaround....I graduated almsot seven years ago from High School and im still not one hundred percent sure on what i want to do,,,though i do know i want to go into either the medical fields or animal nitrition. I attended a technical HS my Junior year for Vet Assisiting and Grooming. I absolutly hated HS. Could care less about a lot of the subjects they made me do. If it wasnt some sort of Art Science or English class I didnt like it. But i managed to squeak by, with passing grades and even made honor roll a few times. Sinse then i have worked as a dog groomer. a kennel assistant, A riding instructor (i went and got CHA certified after HS and ran a day camp.) I have my flagging card (pays well but about the most boring job i have EVER had) I was a produce clerk at one of the busiest Safeways in the country as well as cashiering. Right now i work as a cashier at a feed and farm supply store. Im almost 25 and i will qualify for a lot more grants that i didnt qualify for before (one of the good things about waiting) Im interested in phlebotomy and nursing. And have checked out the Treasure Valley Community college in Id, where they have a good animal nutritionist program. They also have an equestrian drill team there that im interested in.
    So im figuring things out. As of now im working paying bills and all of that fun stuff.
    beth

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    im either going to be

an ag teacher
    an animal nutritionist
    a marine biologist
    or a dairy science major

10. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008
    I wanted to do animal science. . . but my parents won't support it so I went with midwife. I thought bringing babies into the world would be the next best thing . . .

11. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I'm almost 40 too and realized after reading this thread, I'm nowhere near where I thought I'd be when doing the "when I grow up" thing 20 some years ago:

1. I too wanted to be a vet, but when doing a summer internship w/an area zoo my jr year of high school, I assisted the vet w/a puma giving birth = the momma died and 2 of her 3 babies. After bottle feeding the remaining cub, it too died after less than a week. Vet = not for me....

2. I then went on to college & proceeded to get a degree in Social Work. After my first case of investigating a really, really bad case of child abuse, i realized I better do something else or I'd be in jail quick for killing a parent that would so horribly abuse a child.

3. I spent the next 10 years in the computer field doing tech support, up until the PC company sent its jobs overseas.

4. another 5 years later & after moving to a different state, i find myself a horse & goat farmer......... still not quite sure how that happened....... but I find myself happy w/what I'm doing for the 1st time in 20 years!

Good luck to anyone else still trying to find their true calling.

12. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008
    I know exactly what you mean on child abuse! All the children in my family are adopted, however, none of us were abused, only my sister and little brother were neglected. They are from an orphanage in Liberia.They suffered from the attatchment disorder, so the last few years with them have been rocky ones . . .But I think now that I know what it takes to adopt a child from overseas, I may do it someday.

13. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    please remember there are LOTS of children right here in the U.S. that need homes too...... I recommend being a foster parent first for a while. I've known lots of families that adopted children after providing foster care to them. Kind of like a "trial marriage." I hate to put it that way, but it's true.

14. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008
    yes, I may do that . . . thank you missm . . .

15. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I want to do something in the medical field. I'm a junior at a technical school,taking a class for general medical assisting,nursing,and dentistry. I think I'd enjoy Physical Therapy but college is really expensive for it so I probably won't end up doing that. I want to be able to help people but do something a little more specialized,I don't want to clean up after people. lol I want ajob that will keep me active. So... not sure. :wink: I'd consider being a RN but I'm not sure if I would enjoy it.

16. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    You might want to look into X-Ray Technologist. My son is one, so is my bil. Dil is taking classes now. You get to work with the patients, but you don't have to do the "maintenance" type care, although, that's mostly done by Aides, not Nurses. Good luck!

17. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Thanks for the idea,I might look into it, that's what my mom does so she could tell me about it. :)

18. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I really want to get my masters in animal science. I really want to go to Cornell, it is not too terribly far, and I really like the campus. My dad is an alum there, so that should help. Then again, every now and again I think I may want to do environmental science at Dartmouth- love the overall feel, and many of the upperclassmen at my school have gone on to excel there... even though I'm only in 8th grade :)

19. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    I refuse to grow up, that way I don't have to choose what to be.

20. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    :ROFL: