What are your Buck to Doe numbers in your herd?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by CapriGem, Oct 13, 2011.

1. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    We have 10 does, 6 older ones and 4 kids (two of the kids are for sale and 2 of the older ones are going to be for sale and possibly one for sale next spring after kidding). We will be adding a LaMancha this spring and hopefully we will get 3 doeling to keep. We also have two stinky love crazy bucks :eek:hlala:

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    OMG! :shocked: Your jumping in alright! lol But if you need any help during kidding season..... I'm an addicted goat midwife with not enough of my own kidding. :laugh: :ROFL:

3. Would love to have you come down! :) We have 2 spare bedrooms.
    Yea our number jumped by 10 just a few weeks ago. I was contacted by someone I had bought 2 goats from that they needed to sell the whole herd so how could I say no. :laugh:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ashley her house is beautiful! ;)

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hmm.. room and board and lots of goat kiddings and babies... oh, my dream come true to just be a goat midwife :help: :drool:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Currently, 9 bucks and 25 does. I just sold four bucklings today (for slaughter), and have three more bucklings to be sold for breeding. So then I might be down to 6 for a while, until I get another LaMancha buck.. After the buck I'm having shipped in sometime next year, I'm sticking to AI! Can't handle all these stinky things! LOL

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    For goats... i think I could handle it XD.

9. Stacie1205

Stacie1205 New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Nubians, 3does with 1 buck. Then 7 other does, most nigerian and 3 nigerian bucks. I need to sale a buck after this falls breeding season.

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    FIVE does
    TWO bucks

wow, I can't believe I'm down to SEVEN!?

11. Farmgirl675

Farmgirl675 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    8 does
    4 doelings
    4 wethers(butchering soon)
    5 bucks(2 proven, 2 10mo olds and one 9 wk old buckling(trying to get proven on anything that will stand still :p ))

12. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    During my active time I had some 10 - 40 does, and usually 2 or 4 bucks. (Roughly, average, throughout 35 years)

My brother, whom I visit currently, has today 12 does and 9 bucks. But he has difficulties in deciding to kill any of them, so I hope he will kill (=let me kill) some does soon. It's they who add to the number next spring ... :p :shades:

13. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I have 2 lovely dairy does and 2 very manly bucklings that will soon be UNmanlied and sold!

14. Burns Branch Boers

Burns Branch Boers New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    North Texas
    We are not at the # we will eventually have for our goat hobby/business. I plan on keeping 10 to 12 does and 2 bucks. I am sure we will have a wether or two at any given time due to my kids FFA projects.

right now we have

3 does (only 2 at breeding age)
    1 buck
    1 wether (or hayburner as some one else called them :laugh: LOL-love that!)

15. Randi

Randi New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Calvert County, MD

16. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    hey right now my numbers are pretty good! :)

I have 18 does and 3 bucks....however (ahh the catch! LOL) I'm hoping that 3 of my does from winter kiddings will each give me a buckling to retain.....so I will be up to 6 bucks...oh and then my silky buckling ( :pray: ) is due in Feb....so 7 bucks...oh yeah and I'm on a waiting list for a buckling in Texas...so that will put me at 8 bucks by March or April 2012! LMBO :laugh: :doh:

I :love: :love: my boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    5 Sr. does
    3 Jr. does
    2 wether
    1 buck and 1 co-owned buck

Soon to have more does

18. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

3 does
    1 buck
    2 wethers-which hubby is pressuring me to find a home for one of them. I am not worried about it I just feel like things will work out.

19. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yikes.

I have 3 bucks. I had 2, but I liked one of the bucklings, so I kept him.
    I have 11 females. I need to sell some though.

I also have 2 wethers and 2 sheep.