What are your goat goals/resolutions for 2011?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by firelight27, Dec 27, 2010.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Share!

My absolute, must do resolution is to get new pens up and finish building my spiffy new shelters so that I have a separate, roomy pen for every two does with their own personal shelter to go into at night. Also, to finish my new kidding pens, and weaning pens and get a new section of goat pasture fenced. (We moved but our animals are at my dad's farm right now and I need to get everything done so they can get up here!) This all needs to be done within the next two months, before kidding season starts...so I have a lot to accomplish!

My plans for my herd involve introducing a couple of new animals that will enhance the bloodlines, udders and general structure of my goats. This may involve selling one of my bucks and getting a new one this spring. Also, I intend to make it to at least three shows (hopefully more) and see how my stock does in the show pen. AND, get to a linear appraisal, so I can't forge to submit my application in January.

My last resolution with the goats is to gain some ground on my cheese making skills and try my hand at making goat soaps. This involves buying some new equipment. And of course, to make my husband happy, I have to resolve to keep no more than two kids this year...although that alone will make him insane (especially since I have reserved a kid and am tentatively reserving another after the farm's does have been ultra-sounded.)

2. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Wow! You have really raised the bar high with your multiple goals. <lol>

My goat related goals for 2011 are: 1) make sure the goats stay safe, healthy and happy throughout the new year, and 2) for wether Geoffrey to be a full-fledged cartgoat by the end of the year. :cart:

Deb Mc

3. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    1. Keep a very tight hoof trimming schedule. Haven't been so good about that lately... :oops: 2. Hang out with the goats more often. 3. Breed the goats.... Maybe.

Hopefully these goals will last longer than just through Jan and Feb. ;)

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Right now my goal is to get our mini barn complete! We're doing what we can for now, but we want to have it all fixed up in the coming months. I also want to make a few small shelters and possibly another pen.
    Buck pen needs to be fixed <it was only going to be a temp weaning pen when we made it>, and I need to figure out how I want to do his permanent shelter.

I haven't looked ahead any further than that.

5. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    Better shelter, better fences because they break out of whatever they have right now, and better minerals! As well as a better hoof trimming schedule and milking schedule! I really need a milk stand or something! Also get them ALL registered ASAP! I keep thinking of new herd names as well... Jackalope Farm is also a farm in Canada.. so I might call it Jelly Bunny Farm so maybe I can get first dibs on a URL!

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    MY Goals!

1) Have a successful kidding season!
    2) Maybe bring in a new buck... maybe
    3) Go to the Fairbanks show to show my buck and herd
    4) Mat-su Shows
    5) Have a successful breeding season!

7. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    1. Hopefully have a good kidding seson in Feb.
    2. Get the foundation started for the barn in Ky.
    3. Get one of my cousins started in Goats.
    4. Come up with a very nice feed mix and stick with it.

Guess thats it
    Tom

8. fruittartcaprines

fruittartcaprines New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Herd goals:
    Keep building our herd. Add some Alpine blood into the mix for greater production. Get on a better more rigorous documented schedule for everything - we got everything done on time, but it was a bit loosey goosey - I want to get this in gear next year and make sure everything is run more like a business in prep for when it is.

Dairy goals:
    Keep refining our cheeses. Make more fudge and look into the licensing further. Local university was very interested in our fudge production as a value add, so perhaps look into getting grants for such?

Farm goals:
    Add another two pastures, finish buck pen, separate 3rd stall into two for better separation of does.

9. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    My goals:

have a healthy, safe kidding season
    hopefully be able to retain a few doelings to add to the herd, possibly sell a few does to keep numbers down
    learn about registering goats and all the paperwork with raising/showing/selling them
    learn to trim hooves
    make a worming/shots schedule
    take some of the girls to an ADGA show to see how they do and learn about showing :]

10. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    1. My goals are to do whatever I can to get my 2011 Nigerian kids into good quality loving homes (potentially show homes if possible!) REALLY want to make that happen, these kids will be OUTSTANDING and I want to give them every opportunity I can!

2. To get my 1-day milk test & hopefully a linear appraisal done in 2011.

3. To :pray: hopefully keep two doelings and to :pray: hopefully get my reservations brought in this year... one buckling from Odeon (fuji farm) and an exceptional doeling from another farm.

4. To get my shelters "spiffed" up and painted.

5. To spend more time showing MY goaties and not my fellow breeders goaties - LOL! Although it's SO MUCH less stressful to show someone else's gorgeous animals - LOL! Not to mention that I don't have to do the prep work when they're not mine! Ha ha ha!

11. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    *keep up on hoof trimming
    *happy, healthy kiddings!
    *fix barn
    *fix kidding barn and fence
    *get the girls out packing!!!

and i'm hoping my girls are good milkers! this is both of their first breeding so i'm keeping my fingers crossed!!! hope everyone has a good new year!

12. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

My goals are to keep my numbers where they are. Not always easy and probably wont happen. Not let anyone die. Have a successful showing season for the kids. And maybe learn a little more about these goats then I already know.

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    My goals/wishes are:

1) To have a barn for my goaties (working on that *fingers crossed*)
    2) To get a doeling from Moons and Delila
    3) Finish my fencing
    4) Keep everyone healthy
    5) get a harness for Delila from DW farms

I am sure there is more...

14. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I'm going to expand my fenced area for the goats, chickens and the bees when they come in April.... I already spend as much time as i can with my girls (goats), but when my doe, Feta
    kids in February, I'll have to be on my toes, keeping that little one (or two) alive! Hoping for the Best!

15. mabeane

mabeane New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Talmadge, Maine
    1. Stagger breeding for year round milk.
    2. Keep herd numbers low and easily manageable.
    3. Sell wethers
    4. Keep only two doelings.
    5. Sell/cull non-productive does
    6.Do the happy dance daily because I am actually well enough to have this sweet herd of NDs! :clap:

16. newtopygmies

newtopygmies New Member

May 26, 2010
    ashville alabama
    1. Finish fencing new pasture.

2. I would love to have some kids.

3. keep up with the hoof trimming.

3. A GOOD shelter in all three pastures.

May we all realize our goals.

11 more post holes on goal number one, then fence and gate.

17. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Soooo much to do lol
    1. Have an easy kidding season and hopefully retain a doe or two from it.
    2. Bring in two new bucks from the states to improve some things in my does
    3. Get back into soap making, I miss making soap so much.
    4. Go to as many shows as I can get too.
    5. Continue to maintain healthy stock
    6. Spend more time with my goats
    7. And last but also very important is to build them a new barn and completely fence off my property in sections.

18. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    My main goal is to get a new milking area set up and possibly start a small-scale herd share program to give local people access to fresh, wholesome milk!

Also need to work on a website!

19. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    and also for me:
    get some angora goats
    get the farm fixed up for more animals
    get more animals

20. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Hmmn...

1- Move goats to the REAL farm (my partners 20 acre one, instead of my 1!)
    2- Get through kidding season without too many bumps
    3- Sell goats we can't keep, keep those we can!
    4- Go to some shows to meet new friends and see how in the heck this Goat-Show thing works!