The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be picking up two of my does from a friends house that were being bred. Was hoping they would only be there for a couple days but with their heat cycles it ended up being a little over 2 weeks. When I dropped them off the conditions weren’t as good as I was expecting. Not bad but just different. For example, lots of flies which I don’t have, very small space for quite a few goats (mine are used to 2 acres), tiny shelter, etc. Even though I know her and her goats look healthy I want to quarantine them when they get back just in case. What are your quarantine protocols? I have a large dog kennel that I use as a kidding pen that is very far from the rest of the herd. I’m currently completely cleaning it out and getting it ready for them right now. How long should they stay in there? I feel bad keeping them from the herd for so long, but I can’t deal with 22 sick animals.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
30 days? I was thinking more like 14 if no symptoms present. Not sure if I can keep these high strung girls in a cage for that long.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Every time I had to QT we had a separate barn on the old farm and always took care of all the others first and saved QT till last. Would roccal boots etc (I don't think they don't make it any more). No interactions for 30 days. But then again I have had a closed goat herd now for about 10 years, so we haven't needed to QT.

I have a new filly coming late August early Sept so I will have her in the round pen with small shed for a month before letting her around the other horses. She is even coming for a well know safe barn but still QT'ing.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if that’s the case, guess I’ll buy the stuff I needed to get for a bigger portable pen so that the girls can at least have grass and see the herd (from very far away of course). These two does are very active compared to the rest of my herd and there’s no way I can keep them in a 5ft by 10ft dog kennel for a month but I’ll try doing the dog kennel for a while until I can get the temp. fencing up. Thanks for the answers. We will definitely feed them last, dip shoes in bleach, and use separate equipment.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Got them home and Kissimmee (buckskin) does have a bit of a stuffy nose but she is prone to respiratory issues so I’ll watch her on that and treat if necessary. Other than that and hooves that need trimming, they look okay. After researching and procrastinating for a few months, I finally decided to order electric netting from Premier1. Hopefully if I like that they can be in there for the quarantine period.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope they are free & clear of all problems.
Just went out this morning and Kissimmee (buckskin) has diarrhea also. Cocoa seems fine so far. I was so hoping they wouldn’t be sick but they are animals after all. Just like when little kids get sick when starting school.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars
1 - 12 of 12 Posts