The Goat Spot Forum banner

What breed is this goat?

1K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  erica4481 
#1 ·
Someone contacted me and needs to find this goat a home. It's obvious that it hasn't had the best care and hooves are in a mess and she's pregnant by a big boer :(Just wondering what breed you think she is? Working animal Fawn Horn Terrestrial animal Wire fencing

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I'm not sure how far along she is. It breaks my heart to see her hooves and how neglected she has been. People around here treat goats like crap. They just throw them in a pen or a field and expect them to take care of them selves. And just try to make a dollar off them.no worming, minerals, or love:( they are trying to sell her for $130. Right here at Christmas my spending money is tight but I'm gonna do my best to get her and give her a good home. I may get into trouble with my hubby but oh well :) I told them I would be there Monday

#9 ·
I'm not sure how far along she is. It breaks my heart to see her hooves and how neglected she has been. People around here treat goats like crap. They just throw them in a pen or a field and expect them to take care of them selves. And just try to make a dollar off them.no worming, minerals, or love:( they are trying to sell her for $130. Right here at Christmas my spending money is tight but I'm gonna do my best to get her and give her a good home. I may get into trouble with my hubby but oh well :) I told them I would be there Monday
I'm guessing Nigerian/oberhasli or Nigerian and something else. It looks like they have other goats:( I have a feeling you may be bringing home more then just her..Man if they are all that uncared for that is SAD!:( Good for you for taking her in.

#10 ·
Yea they sent pictures of other goats they want to find homes for but she seems to be in the worst shape and her hooves are the worst. I'm a sucker for the under dog:) I talked them down to $75 so will probably try to go get her tomorrow. I've never had a goat with hooves like that. I usually just trim off the little overgrown parts . I don't really know where to begin trimming ones like that.

#12 ·
Yea they sent pictures of other goats they want to find homes for but she seems to be in the worst shape and her hooves are the worst. I'm a sucker for the under dog:) I talked them down to $75 so will probably try to go get her tomorrow. I've never had a goat with hooves like that. I usually just trim off the little overgrown parts . I don't really know where to begin trimming ones like that.
A little at a time. What I did when I got my big girls (no longer have them) but I would work on each hoof for 5 min and then wait a week and do it all over again so I could actually tell where the sole of her hoof was. This girl is smaller so you may not need to do that, but that is what I did for my standards I used to have. Good luck, and some pics please:)

#13 ·
Hubby is ok with me going to get her. He said he knows he cant win against a poor neglected animal and if it makes me happy to bring her home and help her then so be it:) so I will go pick her up in the morning and of course post pics when I get her here....then see what I can do for her hoofers:)

#19 ·
She still needs a little work especially on one of them. It was so bad that one of her toes/hoof is deformed kinda curved. Hopefully it will straighten out over time:). She's a lot smaller than I was expecting. The place I got her from the people are crazy. They tried to sell me what looked to be a mini nubian buck with blue eyes and said it was a registered boer......lol they obviously don't know a thing about the kind of goats they have. They said the other goats were boer meat goats ,but None were even close to being a boer goat.So I doubt they actually know what kind she was bred to. She doesn't seem to be very pregnant, no udder yet and no baby belly. So hopefully they were just trying to get more $ by saying she was preggers and she's really not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.