what breed of goats do you own??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by babe817, May 12, 2008.

1. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    i have boers,cashmere, dairy x... i should not of got her...she make my life a lot harder.

but my problem is... i love so many different breeds... and i want them all..lol. i want another cashmere, but i love.. anglo nubians .. and a heap of others. i know i should focus on boers.. but i just cant.. i love colors.
    dh only likes boers... so it sucks.

2. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I have Nubians. And I LOVE 'EM! :love:

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    NIGERIANS!!!! But we are thinking about adding an Alpine or two sometime.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    nigerians and pygmies. But selling pygmies and going all nigerian.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Nigerians (registered and unregistered) (8)
    Boer / Saanen Xs (2)
    Boer (1)
    Pygmies (2)
    Possibly getting a Nubian/Boer

Horses (3 and a colt)
    Barbados sheep (2 and adding more)
    Dogs (3)
    Cat (1)

6. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    1 Boer/Alpine
    1 Nubian/Alpineg
    should be finding out over the weekend if Im getting a reg. doeling,I hope so :wink: if so probably a Lamancha but maybe Alpine or Nubian

7. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    My current herd (including some that I'm selling)
    Pygmy (2 - planning on getting more)
    Nigerian Dwarf (2 - getting 1 more in a couple weeks, plus plan to get more does)
    Pygmy x ND (2 - 1 is being sold)
    Nubian (2)
    Nubian x Alpine (1)
    Mini Nubian Mix (2 - being sold)
    Snubian (1 - TRYING to sell)
    Mini Nubian (1 - planning to get more)
    Boer x Alpine (1 - well, actually, she's now at my neighbors - but I still claim her as mine ;) )

8. rlittlecritters

rlittlecritters New Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Lynden, Washington
    16 registered Pygmies...2 due to kid any day.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have had only alpines for about ten years now. We used to have a nubian but she was really loud and obnoxious. There are a few nubians i like but i like the pretty dished faces and upright ears and the quiet voice of the alpine. Had a roomate that had nigies. Liked em for the most part, but the little ones were always getting out. they could squeeze through the 2x4 mesh on the welded wire. Got old putting kids back in all the time. Had a couple of boer crosses last year they were as dumb as rocks, but thats the only boer experience i have had. Lamanchas i like for the most part but i love ears. I love obers they are beautiful, if i got a second dairy breed it would be obers. Saanens are nice and mellow but i love color. Another reason for Alpines, i love all the colors i get, and the fact that i never know what im going to get. I love the antics of the alpine, like i said the quiet voice, and how graceful they look. They are definatly my favorite breed.
    I think most people are attached to the breed they started with.
    beth

10. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I have percentage Boers. If you like color, Boers can still fit the bill. After all besides the traditional hooded, there are red, black, buff, lemon head, tri-color and paints of all sorts. I even have a buff headed paint doe, with dark stockings, a heart on her shoulder blades, badger markings on her face and a dark stripe down her spine. There is plenty of variation in the Boer breed, even if people don't normally realize it.

11. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    yeh but most boers in my area are either white and red head or red. when they kid you have a fair idea what color they will be.
    but i do love boers...

12. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    12 mini nubians and 1 grade wether

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well being Cashmere goats are not a breed, it is a type, but I have Cashmere. 14 now. WOW I did not realize how many I have sold.

14. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I have all Nigerian Dwarfs. We've dabbled in Mini-Oberhaslis and Lamanchas but currently we have all Nigerians. I do like Lamanchas, but at the time they weren't meant to be. I've been in the market for a Nubian doeling or possibly Lamancha or Alpine. Just haven't pushed the issue too much.

15. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, this is embarrassing...

I have Pygoras - 3 does, l buck, 3 kids. All for sale. (I love them though).

Cashmeres - 4 does, 2 bucks, 6 kids (4 doelings, 2 bucklings (for sale).

Nigerian Dwarfs - 5 does, 1 buck, 1 doe kid (retained) 2 bucklings/wethers (for sale).

I'd blame it on Chelsey...everybody else does...but the time line just won't work. But, some of them ARE for sale, really, they are!

But, the Nigerians are my real love. Well, and the Cashmeres, and the Pygoras... :GAAH:

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Here is what we raise and why:
    LaManchas: They are sweet and great producers. They produce a lot of milk and even though they produce a lot they still have good butterfat and protein. They also have the ability to keep up long steady lactations, they are easy to milk through.

Oberhasli: They are sweet, mischevious, great goats, good milk production with good butterfat and protein. I have them as a challenge for myself as a breeder. I've seen so many Oberhasli with saggy udders, bad feet and overproducing for their size, I want to try and breed an animal up to my standards: larger productive does with good tight udders, good feet and the ability to hold up throughout their lives. I'm very picky with my Obers.

Boers: they are great growers and grow great on grass, we have percentages, the percentages are wayyyy better than the fullbloods, we still use fullblood bucks of course.

Saanens: We are selling out our Saanens to concentrate on two breeds. They are sweet, good producers, they have lower butterfat and protien because they produce so much milk, they are easy to milk through. They tend to be a really easy going breed.

I've also had Alpines, we sold them last year, I did not like them at all. They were so mean to the other goats, but they were nice towards people. I did not like their attitude, they milked good though.

17. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I have myotonics, percentage boers and kiko crosses.....all of my goats are meat goats.

18. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    central Iowa
    Oh boy! Let's see.....

1. Pygmy/Saanen X- mean, but great milker.
    2. Pygmy/Saanen/Boer/Nubian X doeling
    3. Pygmy/Saanen/Boer/Nubian X buckling
    4. Alpine/? X doe
    5. Alpine/?/Boer/Nubian X doeling
    6. Alpine/?/Boer/Nubian X wether
    7. Toggenburg (fb) doe
    8. Togg baby doeling
    9. Togg baby doeling
    10. Oberhasli (fb) doe My favorite girl!!
    11. Oberhasli baby buckling
    12. Nubian (fb) doe
    13. high % Boer doe
    14. Boer/Nubian X doe
    15. Boer/Nubian X buck
    16. Alpine/Oberhasli X buck
    17. high % Boer doe
    18. high % Boer doe
    19. Nubian/Boer doeling

17, 18, and 19 are new and I almost forgot we had them...LOL

Andi in OK

19. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    Here at Jackrabbit Ranch in Southern Utah we have:
    1. Christy Alpine/Olberhasli Doe Gave birth to :boy: :boy: :boy: :GAAH: 8 weeks ago. sold two as pets
    2. 3/4 Alpine & 1/4 Olberhasli 8 week old wether from Christy
    3. Wind Alpine/Olberhasli/Nigrean 1 year old doe (from Christy) expecting any day Think :girl:
    4. Minnie Papered Alpine 1 year old doe expecting in 2 weeks Think :girl:

20. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    Ok that is the last time I ask my husband to spell "Nigerian" and "Oberhasli" correctly. I was going to double check and hit submit instead of preview. :oops: Suellen