The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have raised mostly purebred Boer goats and wondered if mixing in some Spanish blood is a good option?
Does anyone have experience with Spanish goats?
Are Spanish goats smaller than Boer goats?

How long does it take a goat to be fully grown? Is it two years, or is it more than two years?

·
Registered
692 Posts
It all depends on what your goals are. Are you raising goats for brush control, pets, meat, show, or just for fun? Personally, I like boer goats, however, in my area they tend to get parasites really easily. The spanish goats are smaller, and seem to be more resistant to the parasites. I like to mix the boers with kikos. They grow quickly, are larger goats, and are a little more tolerant of parasites. Spanish goats are a good option too, but like I said, it depends on your purpose for having goats. In my area, the boer goats bring a premium at the auction, and any larger cross is in high demand too. We ususally sell the kids at about 6-8 months old. Also, it has been my experience the Spanish goats are a little more "crazy" whereas my boers are pretty gentle.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Like JML Farms stated, it depends on your goals.

Mixing spanish and boer isn’t the most popular option, but it can be done with success. We had a spanish/boer cross, and she was absolutely bombproof; however, she was not well muscled like our fullblood boers.

Spanish tend to be smaller than boers by a good margin.

Fully grown/mature can take 3-4 years.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very interesting! Raising for meat production and to grow our herd. There is a spanish boer cross for sale that is about 2 years old/buck, and about 134 pounds. I felt that was small, so maybe that is on the smaller side? We need a breeding buck, and I don't want to settle for something less. We currently have purebred boer goats and the ladies are larger than he would be, which likely wouldn't be an issue for the buck, but not sure how the kids would end up turning out? Smaller?

Parasites in the midwest and in our region are an issue, and we have had more issue with the barber pole with our sheep than goats, but I feel it is only a matter of time

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I had Spanish does. They were smaller framed & less muscle than boers. They were Crazy too. It took me a year to let one just touch her. It was was a rodeo to trim feet, give shots, or just check them over. They calmed down after kidding..but not as well as my boers or kiko x boers. I have 3 kiko x boers i just adore. Good moms, easy kidders, little if no maintenance. I am trying this year Savannah x boers. I wont breed them till this comeing fall. But they are easy to be around, easy like boers to work on. They are as big if not bigger than boers. Good meat goats.

·
Registered
441 Posts
One of my good friends raises Spanish and boers, she used to cross them but doesn’t anymore I will say yes the Spanish are crazy I went over there to help her and boy was I in for a ride when the buck needed his hooves trimmed I have 3 does that are part Spanish but only 12.5% from her

·
Registered
449 Posts
So, we bucked the trend and cross Myotonic bucks over Boer X does. Smaller birth weights, kids that jump up and thrive, excellent growth rates, parasite resistance, good feet, and mild mannered goats. Myotonics will add muscle and density to the size of the Boers though occasionally you do get smaller females.

If you’re in the the mid west you might be able to find a TexMaster or MeatMaster Myotonic that have been bred for decades to get consistent size and muscle even in does.

We breed this cross for youth auction projects and they’ve done quite well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts