what breeds?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by corabee, Feb 23, 2010.

1. corabee

corabee New Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Do I have a nigerian dwarf and a pygmy? I also have a billy that I need to find a pic of him. He is smaller than the nd but slightly larger than the pygmy. If that I what I have. And what color are they considered? Edited to add a few more pics. One of the billy that I am assuming is pygmy. What is his coloring called? One more of the ng.

Attached Files:

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    They look very Nigi to me, with some Nubian or something in the background with those pretty airplane ears. I love the color!

3. corabee

corabee New Member

Feb 18, 2010
    But the nanny that doesn't have the airplane ears is half the size of the other nanny and is shaped like a beer keg. The buck is shaped the same, like a beer keg and he is alot shorter, too. They don't appear to be the same breed as the nanny with the floppy ears.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Their coats are a pygmy pattern, so they are probably mostly pygmy, but the ears on the other doe make me think nubian or boer. They aren't purebred, but i'd say they are more pygmy than nigerian.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Very nice looking goaties!
    The 2nd pic showing both buck and doe tells me that they are a nigi/pygmy cross, they have similar color pattern to the "pygmy" standard of a white carmel but the dainty lean look to their legs is more nigerian.
    Tina is a mini cross..nigi or pygmy mixed with a boer or a nubian, giving her the floppy ears.

I have a medium carmel pygmy/nigi doe as well as a couple other nigi/pygmy goats, the differences between the nigi's and the pygmies are unmistakeable, due to the pygmies heavy bones and cobby bodies and a nigies "dairy" or dainty lean look. Also, a pygmy's ears are short and erect in relation to their face, a nigi has erect ears that are longer than a pygmies but shorter than a standard sized dairy goat.

6. corabee

corabee New Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Thank you! Tina is due soon. She started bagging up about 3 weeks ago and her ligaments are still kinda there but going. No mucus yet. She is a ff so I don't know what to expect from her. She is pretty huge right now. Most of those pics were from the summer.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Im seeing more pygmy then nigie. And on the oe with the airplane ears maybe a touch of nubian.
    beth

8. corabee

corabee New Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The buck has a tag through his ear. What does that indicate? Should I get a closer look at it and see what it says?

9. Josey521

Josey521 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Reno, NV
    The one with the airplane ears could be a kinder as well, which is a pygmy/nubian cross. The others look like they have at least some nigie blood in there because they're a little more refined than your typical pygmy.