The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybelle came to us a week ago. She's a 1 yr old Alpine FF. She has a wonderful personality. Anyways I bought her and asked the owner what I should do about her horn it appears to be hooking around and growing back into her head. The owner said it was a dis-budding gone wrong and to just get a file and file it down otherwise let her play rough and it will break off.

Does that sound right? Won't she bleed? Can I band it? Looking for advice Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say band it is that the same bander for banding bucklings? Or something different? What kind of a file? It's real close to her head would I get between her head and her horn tip?

·
Super Moderator
59,755 Posts
Yes, you can use the little green bands. Just notch the horn all the way around as close to her head as you can. Put 2 green bands on.

I have been able to use my orange handled foot trimmers to trim up scurs. Not sure for your girl. You may need to get a saw if it is round. Probably pig nippers would work too.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
Horse nippers work too...but only cut off enough that its not going into her head, a 1/2 " or less..too much will bleed alot and be painful...be prepared if the horn is not firmly attached to the scull, but wiggly...it may break off the head all together if she fights you...she wil be fine if this happens..she will bleed a lot...just put pressure on it for a bit..and some blood stop powder...it will grow back and you can then keep it trimmed closer to the head..best of luck..

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
My doe yanked as we were trimming and POP! off it went. Not a whole lot of bleeding, and it was VERY slow to come back. Came back much smaller. :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we had a similar problem with a yearling nd. we waited for the vet to come and he just took the end off so that it was away from her head. it is slowly coming back. i think next time we'll just use horse nippers and take the end off

1 - 8 of 8 Posts