What causes congested udders?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by HappyCaliGoats, Jun 2, 2015.

1. HappyCaliGoats

HappyCaliGoats Active Member

Mar 19, 2014
    California
    I have two does that both freshened with congested udders.. They are still able to milk pretty good amounts, but when they are milked out their udders still look full and feel heavy and firm..

Anyone know what causes this?

Before milking
    ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1433301342.647102.jpg

After milking
    ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1433301403.127350.jpg

Any input is greatly appreciated! Sorry, I only have before and after shots of one of the does.

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Is it hard or fleshy?? Congestion would feel hard as a rock....Selenium Def. ... CAE can cause this...treatment would be ..very warm compress, massage, knead, milk repeat..use a good udder balm...some take several week to see improvement..

fleshy udder or meaty udder can be caused by too much protein....there is no fix...

3. HappyCaliGoats

Mar 19, 2014
    California
    Oh I forgot to mention they both tested negative for CAE. Less than 2 months ago.

It feels hard, but not like a rock... If that makes any sense... The other doe is starting to get better now.. She is 3 months fresh... The doe pictures above is only 5 days fresh in the pic...

How do I know if it is selenium def. or too much protein? They both have had BOSE.. Once before being bred and I was late to giving it to the doe pictured above, she got it just after freshening instead of a month before like the other doe..

But her udder is heavy...

4. FloatnRockRanch

FloatnRockRanch New Member

Feb 7, 2015
    Bellingham, WA
    I really have no clue....since I've never had a fresh doe....BUT if they are anything like a dairy cow when they freshen....hard congested udders are generally from graining too heavy prior to freshening.

Would love to know if this is the same for dairy goats. Anyone?

5. HappyCaliGoats

Mar 19, 2014
    California
    This doe (pictured) was grained very heavily for many months prior to kidding.

6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Sounds like you took care of the Selenium...if she is still deficient would depend on how deficient your area is...we had a few freshen with congested udder..such a pain!!..Im thinking we need to to BoSe 3 times a year!...there are other signs of deficiency...like sluggish labor, retained placenta...babies born weak, weak suck reflex, weak and or bent legs...to name a few..you would been to assess the total picture...a meaty udder feel fatty...and although looks huge may not have much milk..I have not had this issue here, but from what I read...it could be from too high of protein..and is not a fixable problem..maybe some one who has dealt with it can chime in on that...

I would do some warm compresses and massage, knead, milk ...we did this 3-4 times a day for several days..a few were so congested I gave Banamine for three days in hope to help...it did seem to or maybe it was our tired wore out arms lol...at any rate, its not usually a quick fix...

7. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Well, I have had some issues with congested udders. So this year I tried to hold back on the grain to see if it made a difference..... nada...... the one doe still had congested udder. She also tested CAE free. She is now almost 3 months fresh and is better but still has a very meaty udder. Even when she is drained, she has a round firm udder. So maybe your girls have the meaty udder like mine??

8. Sylvie

Sylvie city-turned-country girl

Feb 18, 2013
    Fallbrook, CA
    I have a doe just like this. Yes, she did get a lot of grain during her pregnancy.
    Will it always stay this way? Even in future pregnancies? Now I'm scared I ruined her udder...

(Sorry, Dee. Hope I didn't steal your thread.)

9. HappyCaliGoats

Mar 19, 2014
    California
    No worries, we are all looking for the same info :)

10. HappyCaliGoats

Mar 19, 2014
    California

I can do it 3 x a day on Wednesday's and 4 x a day on Sunday's and Monday's, all other days I can only do twice and I'll be lucky if I can do that much on those days bc of work (I barely have time before work to even milk them..) Will that be enough for them??

Anyone have experience with the high protein udder in case it is that?

11. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

There's not much you can do about a meaty udder, once the fat cells in the udder have grown, they never go away.

12. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    How long has she been fresh? Some of my girls took a couple weeks before they let me have most of the milk.

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Work her congested udder as often as you can...its all any of can do...time and patients is key...:)..

14. HappyCaliGoats

Mar 19, 2014
    California
  15. Shell2

Shell2 New Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Canada
    I also have 2 does with congested udders... More on one side than the other for both of them... I have been using bag balm, however one of my girls seems to have had a slight reaction to it with getting pimple type things on her udder where I use the balm...Can I massage without a balm of some sort? I have been massaging for weeks with no real change :( However it has just been this past week or so that I think I have been doing it 'deeply' enough...Both girls have babies on at the moment, one with triplets--although I am bottle feeding one--and one with a single. The hard spots feel more hard than meaty. Should I notice a difference after each massaging or not really? Any particular way to actually do the massaging to be more effective?
    Sorry to hijack this thread. Thanks for any input!

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Shell2

Congestion can be quite stubborn...very warm compress, massage, knead milk repeat, really work it.....need to milk as you go ...each time you loosen some up...try coconut oil with peppermint ess. oil as a balm...wash her udder after with a 50/50 vinegar/water wash..its very conditioning and will clear up irritation..if the bumps look pimply with pus, that could be staph and will need chlorhexidine which can be used instead of vinegar/water....

17. HappyCaliGoats

Mar 19, 2014
    California
    No worries about "hijacking" the thread, I'm glad this question could help more Han just me! :)

18. nigies4ever

nigies4ever Haley

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    Dee, Athena freshened a bit congested too. Hot compresses, massaging, and mint udder cream have reallyyy helped. TSC has a good cream, or you can order Dynamint online. Bag Balm also seemed to help, if only with the external texture.

19. HappyCaliGoats

Mar 19, 2014
    California
    I ordered dynamint.. Hasn't come in yet...

20. Shell2

Shell2 New Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Canada
    Would Betadine solution work for this? I don't know where to get chlorhexidine....Feed/farm store? Or vet?
    The bumps seem like a pimple that scabs over...quite large like maybe half the size of a dime or so...Haven't really seen pus...they are kind of crusty now...No new ones since I stopped the bag balm though...