What color is my buckling?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by NubianLover, Mar 24, 2011.

1. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    I need to get my buckling registered before I sell him, but what color should I register him as?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks! :)

2. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    He looks like he is red with moonspots to me, but I'm not always the best at colors. Man, he is beautiful though. Look at that face! Now I want Nubians...Lol.

3. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I love moon spotted kids congrats on the little man but I don't know any thing about colors unless its a boer because those are easy.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I know if he was a nigerian I would call him red with creme moon spots. Not sure if nubian colors are worded differently than nigerians though.

Flashy boy though!...very neat markings. :D

5. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Well, that is what I will call him then :)

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I don't call this moonspots in a Nubian. He would be brown and cream. More then likely his spots will turn white by a year of age.

7. goatsnmore

goatsnmore New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    I would not consider this moonspotted. This buckling is dappled. There's a difference.

8. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Awwwww.... I am in love.......

9. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I agree w/ red w/ moonspots, you can say tan or cream colored moonspots, but w/ as much as they change sometimes it's easier just to leave it at moonspots, he's adorable.

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Isn't dappled only refered to with boers?

11. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I have a yearling with similar markings which his breeder describes as simply "brown w/white markings" on his ADGA paperwork. When asked, I say he's a moonspotted buckskin with frosted ears and nose - as that's what it looks like to me. His coat is reddish brown w/cream and darker brown moonspots. It doesn't look like your buckling has the darker brown spots or the black badger stripes. But, otherwise, his color and markings look very similar.

Deb Mc

12. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Hmm... I didn't know there was a differnce in color terms between Nigerians and Nubians. That is good to know, because one day here I want a couple Nubians (and Lamanchas.) I guaruntee when we have our own place one day with a lot of acreage I'll have all three breeds, my husband will cry. Lol. I wish I could snatch your boy up, I just can't get over how adorable he is.

13. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    This might help (or not...it's very 'educational' :p )

From http://www.cagba.org/Goat_Color_Explained_copy1.pdf
    I honestly could agree w/the moonspots idea, and w/out the moonspots idea. We have moonspots & they do look like that... but I've never heard of a Nubian w/moonspots (although this article above says it's common & I don't have much experience w/Nubians). I've started seeing lots of Boers w/this coloring, and they're Paints. But I don't think that fits here. ???? Hmmmm ???? Tough question ....
    BUT MAN... IS HE CUUUUTTTTEEE!!! :love: :love:

14. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Unless I'm totally off-based, what I think Stacey and Goatsnmore refer as moonspots are actual solitary spots that aren't marbled/mixed - unlike this buckling's pattern.
    I believe when I registered my goat with a similar pattern I just wrote 'brown and white splash' (as mine has white instead of cream).
    Up to you, I suppose.

15. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I would think moonspots are most common in nubians, I saw them in nubians long before I realized other breeds had them.

Boers call them dapples, but genetically they are all the same, and no matter what someone chooses to register them as, they are still moonspots, and that boy is covered in them! They probably will lighten as he ages til he looks more brown and white.

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    moonspots cant be white

17. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    The skin can't be pink, but the spots can be white.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    in the descriptions for moonspots it always says "any color except white"

What reference do you have that changes this?

19. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Just my eyes, this buckling was covered in white moonspots,
    [​IMG]
    Aparently the 'moonspots don't come in white' comes from the fact that the skin under them isn't pink like normal white markings, don't know what color that leaves you to call them, some have cream skin, some have varying shades of gray, but you're not really going to know w/out shaving them, and I really can't call them anything but white.

I don't generally list a color for moonspots because they can change so much.

20. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I have not researched other breeds as much but In researching Nubians I have seen a lot of Pics with these moonspots!!! i personally LOVE it! I want to own one someday!