The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
That’s a “Chocolate and Tan” as opposed to a “Black and Tan”. They are also known as chocolate sundgaus by some breeds. I say chocolate because the black is being modified to a chocolate color. It’s a dominant gene.

That pattern definitely came from the Spanish side!

·
Super Moderator
35,681 Posts
Shes pretty 😍

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s a “Chocolate and Tan” as opposed to a “Black and Tan”. They are also known as chocolate sundgaus by some breeds. I say chocolate because the black is being modified to a chocolate color. It’s a dominant gene.

That pattern definitely came from the Spanish side!
Thank you for the help! So are all color combinations with this patterned color and color? I’be been offered one that’s black with white stripes, so would that be a black and white or something different?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Thank you for the help! So are all color combinations with this patterned color and color? I’be been offered one that’s black with white stripes, so would that be a black and white or something different?
No, but that is a very logical assumption. Black and Tan / Chocolate and Tan are very specific patterns. They have leg stripes, pale face stripes, and a pale belly. Other patterns include, Swiss, Buckskin, Chamoise, Red Cheek, Gold, etc.

Post a picture, and I can tell you the pattern!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, but that is a very logical assumption. Black and Tan / Chocolate and Tan are very specific patterns. They have leg stripes, pale face stripes, and a pale belly. Other patterns include, Swiss, Buckskin, Chamoise, Red Cheek, Gold, etc.

Post a picture, and I can tell you the pattern!
It’s the goat on the right with white face stripes, we originally asked about dapples and grays but she caught my eye. I haven’t seen one like that before.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These seem to have a lot of possible dairy mixed in ….so if you are looking for Boer I would question the breeding.
I breed mostly for color and hobby, so I’m just looking for pretty goats. the breeder of the first picture said they were Spanish/boer crosses (no particular percentages of each) I did spot some more dairy-looking goats when I picked them up. The breeder of the 2nd picture said they were mostly Spanish,(most of their goats are very Spanish looking) with boer and a little dairy goat in the mix as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts