What color is this Nigerian kid? Badger?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by freedomstarfarm, Mar 31, 2011.

1. I am wondering what color to put on her registration papers. Is she badger; or is that even a Nigerian color for registration papers? She has hair that is two tone; dark at base and fades to white. I am so happy she is one of our first and her conformation looks great although I couldn't get her to stand for a photo that well. Her name is Sasha. :)

Attached Files:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    She is a light buckskin - very cute

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I just saw your reply to another topic - what part of NJ are you in im in Atco.

Anyway I had to ask

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    She would be considered a light buckskin or light chocolate buckskin (is her cape black or chocolate?) Light buckskin if it's black, light chocolate buckskin if it's chocolate.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    ^ Yep - what they said!

6. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Definitly what they said. Buckskin of any kind is my favorite :love:

7. It is black but she has a tiny chocolate around the edges. Thanks for the help!

8. We are in Bethlehem Township.

9. I have triplets that I got that were already registered as broken buckskin. Here is their photo. I guess there is a wide range for buckskin?

Attached Files:

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Without a full body pictures I can't say for sure but it looks like they maybe mistakenly called buckskin but look to be broken chamoisee.

buckskin is a dark cape with badger face and there is a dark triangle on their hind hip area. Check out my doe "angie" on my site www.endofthelinefarm.com im on my phone or I would copy and paste the actual link

11. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Ok, if his cape is black then, i'd just say light buckskin.

The triplets aren't buckskin. They look a little bit like chamoisee with white. We'd need full body shots to be sure.

12. Here are the best photos I have of them from the side. I love that I found this site it is so wonderful to have people to talk to about goats!

Attached Files:

13. Whops the photo didn't have Janus. Here is a photo of her with her doe kid. Janus came to me registered as black with white specks but is she agouti?

Attached Files:

14. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    The first doeling you have posted out of the triplets is a broken chamoisee, and I am 99% the other two doelings are broken Cou Clairs. They have alot of black on their back end, more than a chamoisee would have. ;)

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Still wet kid is just a brown and white -- she doesnt have the facial markings or dorsal stripe for a chamoisee

This is a chamoise http://www.endofthelinefarm.com/site%20 ... G_0049.JPG

To older does do look to be broken Cou Clair and the bottom one looks to be a very broken cou clair or chamoisee

The Janus is a pygmy or nigerian dwarf? If a pygmy yes she is agouti if she is a nigerian dwarf they call that pattern black and white roan.

16. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    The first doe kid is probably going to be goldish colored when she's grown. For now, just tan and white would be ok.

I definately agree with cou clair for the other three, the last one, maybe a cou clair/ chamoisee cross of the two markings. All have white overlay. Very pretty girls.

17. Janus came registered and said to be bred from ...
    sire: Old Mountain Farm Jay Walker *S
    dam: Old Mountain Farm Glenda Goode

I think that the lines she comes come from are pretty nice. Lots of Old Mountain, Kaapio Acre's, Dragonfly, Stonewall's, Enchanted HIll and Gay-Mor's.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok then she would be a roan color.

19. Wow Stacey I LOVE your chamoise one! Beautiful!!
    I am also interested in your planed breeding that may result in polled kids. I love the does structure and am interested in polled genetics. I will email you thru your web site. A polled doe kid from you would be a great addition to my herd.

20. Oakmarsh Nigerians

Oakmarsh Nigerians New Member

Mar 12, 2011
    I've looked online for a Nigerian Dwarf color chart, but the links I found are broken. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a working link?

I'm hoping I get a bit of color from my two predominantly white does.

Also, one newbie question: How is chamoise pronounced?

Thanks!