The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 21 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
540 Posts
Do you feed your goats loose minerals? If so, what kind? Even if you are feeding a great loose mineral, some goats still need a little "pick me up" once in a while with copper boluses. 😉 😊

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys n yes they all get loose minerals but it seems maybe the older girls wont let her at the mineral feeder?. She got a coppper bolus about 2 weeks ago. She went thru a bad deal with coccidiosis about 3 months back or so getting her back up to full health still i feel like shes still underweight due to around her pelvis area tbh i have noticed since the bolus her shoulders and neck seem darker already.

·
Registered
540 Posts
According to this place (Color Chart | tmgronline), Sandgau can only be black and white. But swiss marked goats can have tan markings, so I think your girl would be considered black and tan swiss marked with frosted ears and nose. She also has a white poll that could be added into her color description.

Sounds like the rusty color should go away soon! Good work keeping on top of that! 😁

·
Registered
540 Posts
No problem!
Ok also.. she is my first nubian... all around her hips hindquarter area still looks bony to me is this normal for her breed? Seems like the rest of her is filling out but not there.
I don't have any experience with Nubians, but with her being younger and not lactating, I would think she should be more filled out back there. What are feeding? You could try upping her grain (if you give her any) a little and see if that helps.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She is currently eating free choice hay.. she eats 3 pounds a day in feed split between two feeding. And rice bran pellets on top. I tried upping her amount but the girl gets too full n cant finish past more than 1 1/2 pounds at once plus alfalfa pellets for snack during the day. She was severely emaciated when she got sick so her current condition i can say is wonderful compared to then but her rear end just isnt full.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's sounds like she is getting plenty to eat!! She still could be recovering from the load of coccidiosis that she had a few months ago. She definitely does not look too under conditioned, but I can see what you mean about her rear end not filling out. Have you checked her FAMANCHA or had a fecal done recently?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah did a fecal on my whole herd recently she was non symptomatic but still carrying moderate oocysts so she got a 5 day Tx of corrid august 20th. Her mucous membranes have had good color to the for several weeks now and still look good today.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well that's good to hear. I personally wouldn't worry to much then and just keep a close eye on her. Maybe she's just going through a weird growth spurt or something. And as I said earlier, I don't have experience with Nubians, so maybe it's just normal for them to be thinner back there. Sorry I don't have any more advice.

What do you guys think?
@happybleats @MellonFriend @toth boer goats @Jubillee @ksalvagno @DDFN

·
Fair-Haven
4,819 Posts
Nubian colors do not state swiss marked, etc. She is black with tan points, frosted ears, white crown. She does look thin to me , so keep on top of her famacha and fecal checks along with a good loose mineral. What kind of hay are you feeding?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I was going to tag you as well @goatblessings, but I couldn't remember your user name. For some reason, I mostly just remember people by their avatar pictures. Thanks for chiming in and correcting me on Nubian colors/markings! I had no idea Nubians aren't called swiss marked even though they look the same as other breeds that are. 😊

1 - 21 of 29 Posts