What coloring is this?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by SterlingAcres, Jan 18, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I picked up a new doeling this evening. She's adorable and so friendly! The breeder was really nice and answered all my questions. Even gave me a sheet listing all the shots, hoof trims, etc the doeling has had since birth. The last breeder didn't even come close :roll:

At any rate... Can you tell me what color this is? And guess a percentage for me? She's supposed to be a "ND x Pygmy Grade".

Hard to tell from the photos, but she has a very dark gray dorsal stripe from her poll to her tail and it peppers down into some of her sides. She also has dark frosting on the tips of her ears and dark knees too.

Newborn:
    [​IMG]

5 Months Old:
    [​IMG]

They called her Lacey, but she's not registered, so I can change her name when I register her with NMGA. Looking for suggestions ;) Please and thanks guys :D

2. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I have a sable with this coloring and properly its called silver chamoisee, or you can spell it out with white with black dorsal and facial stripes,,,etc. but i'd call it silver cham.

http://nutmegfarm.webs.com/

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I'll get some better photos tomorrow, these are from the breeder.

Thanks! Silver Chamois describes her pretty good I suppose. :)

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    She looks like a grey or white agouti crossed with some nigerian dwarf color. It's definately not a full chamoisee, but it could be somewhere behind her in her genetics. There's not really a name for her coloring or markings.If I had to call her something I'd say a silver agouti with white markings.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
  6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup thats more of an Agouti (pygmy) or roan (nigerian dwarf)

my former goat Mia is just like her: http://lilluckfarm.webs.com/mia.htm

her second daughter can be found here: http://lilluckfarm.webs.com/ scroll down to see Lucie (she is for sale actually )

I bought Mia as a 6 week old from a guy in Schwanksville PA. He sells everything as pygmy but he has mixes there mostly. Great guy just doesnt understand about ND and I wasnt about to try and convince him as it isnt worth it, he takes great care of them so thats what counts. :) That breeder probably got her goats from him or visa versa since that color pattern is rare in goats.

Mia's first daughter born a couple years ago looked just like Lucie -- her name was Kari I sold her to a lady in PA -- so maybe Lacey its Kari's daughter?

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah something like that -- but its rare so I just call it silver roan :shrug:

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok I found my page that has Mia and her daughter Kari from 2007 scroll down the page a bit -- as you can see Mia was very special and still is to me (she jsut doesnt live here anymore but I see her often) http://www.endofthelinefarm.com/mia.htm

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Lacey is Dolly's daughter. I drove out past central PA to get her. As far as I know, the breeder got Lacey's mother and aunt (as nurslings in 2008) from her niece. She's getting back to me with details.

I've seen quite a few people in the tri-state area posting ND's to craigslist saying they were Pygmy and vice versa. :?

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well the thing is the ND breed is only recently gained in popularity. Before then the name was not really known. So anything small that was a goat was called a pygmy regardless of color or build. Now people are noticing the differences and they are starting to get smarter with their advertising but still there is a lot of mix up. I choose not to make a big deal of it because really if they are not registered who cares -- they are mini goats and they are cute :D

Lacey = thats cool, means there are more of that color around. Unfortunatly I have yet to see it in the purebred nigerian dwarf so it seems to be only a pygmy mix trait.

11. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Even if they're registered who cares? lol It's just a record to show where/what the lines were from. After all, they all came from the same genetics at one point.

So... I figure I got the nice pedigree buck coming, his daughters ought to be nice. Even if they are mixed :D

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yupppers.

Lucie's father is a registered buck but her mom is a mix breed -- at least we know that she is an improvement on her mom and if she goes out to produce more kids her chances are higher to have less kidding difficulties due to her nice structure and her lack of inbreeding etc.

13. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    My husband will want to strangle me.... but what is your friend asking for Lucie? She's adorable.

I just ran out to check on the girlies. All's well, everyone's settled and no more chasing. lol Good stuff.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    150.00 she had one person interested but I dont know if she decided to purchase. I can ask

15. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    In fainters that coloring is called blue and white. LOL I love the blues... I have a couple. :- )

Jess
    Faint-Hearted Ranch
    www.faintheartedranch.net

16. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    that's just what I was about to say, myfainters
    shes blue and white in my book.

17. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Okay. Here's some new photos from this morning. Forgive the smudges on the camera lens @@ It started snowing again this morning and I kept using my fleece to wipe my camera.

5 Months vs 2 Months. Bigggggg Diff. lol
    [​IMG]

See how her rump, shoulders and face are silver peppered? And she's got that white band on the other side too.
    [​IMG]

A rear shot. There's no chance she could be bred, but the flesh around her tail is swollen or it at least looks it to me. You can also see where her white band wraps around her and breaks at her dorsal stripe.
    [​IMG]

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats a common pygmy color pattern with the belly band - the actual coloring is unique

a bit different now that I can see detail from my Mia and her daughters but still very cool indeed :D

19. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Do you know that the pattern is called?

I think she's gorgeous :) She needs a super pretty name. Something girly since she's a crybaby. lol

20. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009

Just wanted to point out... I've been googling this exact color pattern all morning. I'm not finding it under pygmy or nigerians. However, the "belly band" is "belted", so it's pretty common in both breeds.

I guess I'll register her under Silver Belted. :?