What could this be?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by PattiXmas, Jan 6, 2010.

1. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    We had taken both girls to be bred in October. They are due in mid-March. While out doing chores today, I noticed Daisy had some discharge on her, ummmm, girl part. She seemed to be fine otherwise, eating normal, pooping normal. She did seem to want more loving today then normal and stood close to me while I petted her. I have a pic - I did wipe it off and it had a consistency of snot, but was a very clear color. Is this normal? Could she have not gotten bred and was in heat recently? I feel down on her left side underbelly is it seems just as tight/hard as Snowy's, just not as big. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Please don't laugh, we are new to this.

2. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    i'm no expert, but one of my does had discharge on and off for about a month before she kidded, dunno why, i wasn't much, :scratch:

3. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    Could be in heat, any tail wagging? Only way to know for sure is blood test.

4. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    No tail wagging. I had to have one of the kids hold her tail up while I took the picture. Hoping that it's normal pregnancy stuff, we really want babies!!!

5. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

Is the buck you bred her to close by? Or any buck for that matter? If so, you could take a rag and wipe it across the buck and then hang it up in her pen. If she sticks close tothe rag, she's in heat.

6. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Do goats sometimes discharge the first month after being bred around the time they would normally go into heat? I also have a doe with a bit of discharge but no heat signs. I saw her bred more than once by the buck.

7. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    No goat close to us at all. I did wipe it off with a paper towel. If it's there again, I'll re-wipe and see if a friend has a buck at her house. Would a wether work or no?

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Discharge is normal, the fleshy look to the underside of her tail says she's preggy...if she's not showing you her normal signs of heat then she settled. I have a doe here due in March that up til 3 weeks ago she was trying to mount the other girls...and she had discharge, I know she settled because she didn't show her normal in heat behavior AND I felt kid movement.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    totally normal... just a little "juice" i'd say she's preg.. but if you are still having doubts about her preggo a wether would work to run with the does.. since any excessive mounting would be an indicator of heat

10. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

"I feel down on her left side underbelly is it seems just as tight/hard as Snowy's, just not as big."
    Just a quick note--babies are carried on the right side of the goats..anything you feel on the left gurgling around would be the rumen. I usually put one hand on the belly floor right in front of the teats & put the 2nd on the right side of the goat & wait patiently a few minutes. I'm not sure how soon you can feel movements..I know it's really accurate 2 weeks before the due date.
    I hope she is pregnant--I know how exciting it is to have kids on the way!

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I can usually feel kid movement at just over 3 months....as was mentioned, palm against the belly in front of the udder, gently pushing upward while applying inward pressure on the right side, it will feel like flutters against your palm.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree with Liz, the fleshy or velvety look of her who ha tells us she is pregnant. Discharge is normal. It looks to me like she just pee'd
    beth

13. I was thinking the same thing. Looks like she just pee'd. My does look the same after a good pee.

14. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Goop can be normal after being bred, if its yellow, or red-tinted, it can be a sign of abortion {hopefully & probably not} My younger does tend to get this, if they have never freshened or freshened once, its common. Shouldn't worry, it doesn't look like a cloud burst or anything, just keep monitoring as usual!

nutmegfarm.webs.com

15. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thanks everyone! The discharge was clear, so I am glad to hear that it is normal. She only "gooped" for 2 days, off and on - not much at a time. We just wiped her whoo whoo off with a paper towel. I am just so excited, this will be our "first" kids!!!! Snowy is twice the size of Daisy, and they are only halfway there. We are hoping for girls (like everyone else:)).