What did I get myself into?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by EnglishAcres, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Just give it some time. I dont think the Gilley suit would work...unless its edible..lol. when I bought all mine..they were 3 months old. I would walk out in the pasture, with my folding chair, book, and bottle of water. Soon..I couldnt read from all the attention. If I didnt have treats...they would all try to get in my lap. From my original 8..to my now 26...its the same. I take my book, water, chair, two pockets full of marshmellows, animal crackers, ginger snaps, carrots pieces, and apple pieces

toth boer goats likes this.
  2. Treva Brodt

Treva Brodt Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2019
    West Union, Ohio
    It took a long time but I eventually tamed an older Alpine doe that had never been handled by doing what others have recommended. Get comfy and be prepared to stay for a while. Bring treats of course! Try not to respond to the sniffing by reaching out too soon. Put your offering close to you so the goat doesn’t have to touch you at first and gradually work up to hand feeding it to them. Once they associate you with their supper you won’t be able to go outside without them calling you. My minis jump up on me like dogs begging. You might not want to allow that. It doesn’t bother me but they will definitely get you muddy and then there’s the risk of getting tripped or pushed down. My goats love microwave plain popcorn. They are VERY smart and can be taught to do just about anything for a reward.

3. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
  4. EnglishAcres

EnglishAcres Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Central Florida
    Better today, I think! No escaping, and I think they're starting to feel at home. I sat with them a while and Navi even jumped up on my legs to see what I was up to. Peach is still a little leery of me, but she's coming around a bit more day by day.

I am watching them a little more closely since they have had looser stools today. No other symptoms, still eating and drinking as usual, but I'm thinking maybe it's because of the changes in their diet/pasture that are causing the upset. I've been giving probios once a day and if there are still scours tomorrow, I'm thinking of giving them electrolytes as well. Thoughts?

Also, for your entertainment - Peach the flying goat extraordinaire greeting me this morning from the OTHER stall. She's standing entirely on the 1x6 like a trapeze artist. She jumped back over into their stall after I came in like "Oh hey it's you! Yeah I've been in here the whole time, I promise!" Don't mind my messy barn. We're still getting things set up and trying to get organized so it's a work in progress.

IMG_1160.jpeg

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You may end up putting fencing all the way up! Aren't goats great?
    So glad they are coming around!

Do you have them on coccidea prevention? Sometimes loose stool is the sign of coccidea, plus they are at the age where cocci rears its ugly head. Tractor supply sells Corid for coccidea. There is info and dosages on here, somewhere. (Sorry, I'm not sure where)

6. EnglishAcres

EnglishAcres Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Central Florida

I don't have them on prevention. i actually have Corid in the barn, I've never used it but had it on hand as a "just in case" for my chickens. i'll have to see if I can find some dosage info on here. Is that something that I should start right away, or wait to see if it clears up for a day or two? I'm not a huge fan of chemicals or antibiotics (I've yet to use them with chickens, but I'm not about letting animals die if they're truly sick.)

7. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Always take the temperature first. Please..it stops alot of guessing.
    You are doing GREAT! KEEP IT UP!

8. singinggoatgirl

singinggoatgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    I would get a fecal sample to the vet and ask them to test for coccidia and worms before giving them any meds, just so I knew for sure what I was fighting. No use giving anti-coccidia meds if they're sick with barberpole worms.

9. EnglishAcres

EnglishAcres Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Central Florida
    I know I saw a thread before, but can't seem to find it now. It was referencing websites for labs to send fecals. Does anyone have that link? I've yet to find a large animal/livestock vet in the area.

10. EnglishAcres

EnglishAcres Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Central Florida
    Never mind, I found the thread. I've filled out the submission form for Meadow Mist Lab and will collect samples tomorrow morning to send out.

KNemitzfarm and singinggoatgirl like this.
  11. EnglishAcres

EnglishAcres Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Central Florida
    Good news this morning - no more scours! We're back to regular pebbles (berries? goat poop?) Whatever the correct terminology is. I'm still going to send off fecal samples to the lab since I still should know what's going on regarding worms anyway. Now I just have to stalk them to collect samples.

Moers kiko boars and 21goaties like this.
  12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. EnglishAcres

EnglishAcres Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Central Florida
    Uh oh. I've been browsing the forums this evening while my husband and son are catching up on their star wars series, and I just learned that I know nothing when it comes to goat minerals. (And probably most other goat things, but I'm trying!)

I follow DaNelle at Weed Em' & Reap and purchased her recommended goat mineral product, which I just just figured out isn't an actual goat mineral, but a mineralized salt? Oy. So now I need minerals, stat! I'm searching the forums but I'm overwhelmed. There's not much locally that is worth buying, but I don't mind ordering online and paying more if what I'm purchasing is top quality.

I'm in Florida, does anyone down my way have anything they'd recommend?

Okay, now back to forum browsing.

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What do you have locally in both goat and cattle mineral?

15. EnglishAcres

EnglishAcres Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Central Florida
    Manna Pro products are all I’ve seen at both Sparr (a local feed/supply store) and tractor supply. Rural king didn’t have anything specific to goats the last time I checked.

16. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Look at what they have for cattle next time you go.

17. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Tractor supply should have Purina Wind and Rain in the cattle mineral section. It's a decent mineral. Store it in a dry location, it will store for a long time.

18. EnglishAcres

EnglishAcres Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Central Florida
    Is there anything I can buy online that’s better? I’d rather have whatever is best vs whatever is available, which is literally just Manna Pro “goat mineral.“ I just looked at tractor supply online and the wind & rain isn’t available at my store anyway.

We live in an area where most people don’t have farms or livestock. Horses, however, are HUGE in Central FL, so most of the feed stores cater mostly to horse supplies/feed. There’s an okay selection of poultry stuff but I’ve had to order 90% of everything I have for the goats online.

19. EnglishAcres

EnglishAcres Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Central Florida
    These are the other minerals available locally.

BB7E5999-9799-4460-9CD4-6CACD8DAF587.png 1E6C9704-5F3C-4340-93A4-D468D79B6BF0.png BB476004-1875-4C10-B847-5DCC4D285B90.png

20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sweetlix meat maker is a good one and my goats love it.

American stockman SE90, if you have selenium deficiency.

seachick and EnglishAcres like this.