What Do a I Need to Stay Away From??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Shayna Meyer, May 25, 2018.

1. Shayna Meyer

Shayna Meyer Member

Nov 18, 2017
    So I just found out I’m expecting baby #4! What are some medicines, dewormwrs, Idk whatever, that I need to stay away from and make my husband handle for me? Basically what isn’t safe for me to handle during pregnancy? Thanks for your help!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Any hormone drugs aren't safe.

aJadeMagnolia and groovyoldlady like this.

3. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
  4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Personally I would play it safe and any chemicals I would stay away from or make sure I wear gloves. Nothing has really been studied on pregnant humans. There’s a town not far from us that their water causes birth defects in human babies but nothing has even come up in animals that drink the water. So although it’s safe for pregnant animals doesn’t mean it’s safe for us ;)

aJadeMagnolia and groovyoldlady like this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Cats and cat litter. Chickens and chicken poop. And like was mentioned, LUTELYASE!
    Congratulations!

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  7. wifeof1

wifeof1 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    Congratulations! I will add mucking stalls. And anything that involves pushing and pulling, like vacuuming. ;0)

8. lifesabtchlearn2deal

lifesabtchlearn2deal Active Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Anything strong smelling that may take your breath away, most wormers, and any jobs that's super dusty...like if you shave your goats you shouldn't be around during that process.

9. Shayna Meyer

Shayna Meyer Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Thank you all! I knew for sure anything hormone related, but was kind figuring everything else was at the very least a wear-gloves type of situation.

I’m due the end of January, and we plan on kidding through December - so I’m going to be as big as a barn through all that madness :p

Thanks again everyone!

10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I would wear surgical gloves when handling any of the new goat babies, their goo or going inside a doe to pull a kid. Even though it is not likely you would "catch" anything from a kidding, it's not worth taking a chance!

11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Lutalyse, Valbazen, and Baycox/Toltrazuril.

You definitely should not be handling any birthing fluids/materials due to the risk of chlamydia and toxoplasmosis.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California