What do "heat" symptoms look like when not in season?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by FMW, Jan 15, 2021.

1. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    I have a doe who was in obvious heat three weeks ago and may be pregnant. I have been checking her daily, especially from days 18-24 for any heat signs. I have looked for any tail flagging, wanting to be next to the bucks, or discharge. There was nothing, except for a little bit of tail flagging. I placed her with each individual buck, but she just kept running from them. No real tail flagging then. Do their (Nubians) heat cycle symptoms decrease starting in January, and if so, what do the symptoms look like? What exactly happens from January until September? Do they cycle, but just quietly? The Nubian buck is quick to breed any doe, but he really didn't seem like he was giving his best efforts.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    MadHouse and AlabamaGirl like this.
  2. JML Farms

JML Farms Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Booger County Texas
    Sounds like she may have been bred. Did you physically observe her getting bred three weeks ago? I don't have Nubians, but a sure sign of heat is a swollen back end. Is she running from the bucks in a way that says "Stay away from me you ugly beast" or is her running more of a teasing "Come and catch me if you can big boy"?

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.

3. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    Hahaha
    More like she was running away from him. Her tail was flagging a little bit when she was with the other does, but I didn't see it when she was with either buck.

When do Nubians start to come out of their seasonal heat cycles? Is January about right?

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Heat season is fading out now. Wish the boys settled down as fast as the unbred ladies lol. I have a few stragglers I didnt breed who come to the fence and long for the boys. But I don't hear the screaming for them or being an aggressive tail wagger. So seems as the season slips away their tale tale signs begin to soften.
    I would pull blood in your doe 30 days after being with the buck to confirm pregnancy.. .I hate guessing and waiting lol.

5. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    That's interesting. So could your stragglers become pregnant if they were bred by a buck? Or is that heat cycle too weak to settle a goat?

We have a great goat vet and I will bring her in for an ultrasound in a couple of weeks. Thanks for your input.

MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Good question. My kids went ahead and put one lamancha doe in with our buck when she was wagging and flagging.....she about beat him up lol..would not stand for him but, but if they are in heat..they should be dropping eggs? Maybe someone will chime in with some thoughts on it.

MadHouse likes this.
  7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Nubians can be tricky..... they USUALLY go out of season about now - but not always. Some can cycle year round. When mine go out of heat, the puffiness in the vagina is gone and they don't flirt with the buck anymore. But depending on the doe, some of them never flirt. Before you ultrasound, make sure it's been at least 30 days since the last possible breeding. An internal ultrasound is more reliable. A blood test is also a great option.

MadHouse likes this.
  8. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    Thank you for this information. I have it down to see the vet around 45 days post breeding. I have used this number of days with my other does and it seems to be enough time to see roughly the number of sacs and that they're moving around :)

toth boer goats likes this.