What do I do with my doe???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Farmer Gab, Jul 10, 2008.

  1. Farmer Gab

    Farmer Gab New Member

    Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    I just took my dog to the vet this morning and while there decided to ask a few questions about Dahlia. Dahlia is my two year old Nubian that miscarried about three weeks into her breeding last year because she ate some moldy straw. This year she kidded a stillborn that was stuck in her on day 142. Last year what I thought was stalled udder development due to the miscarriage has now been identified as mastitis. It is present in both sides of her udder, but worse on one. We milked her last night for the first time and got perhaps a cup from one side and half a cup from the other. This morning my husband said he got less. The vet said that we should keep trying to milk her. She is receiving 4cc of penicillin twice per day for 9 days since I had to "go in" and get the kid out of her. The vet also said that since she has most likely had the mastitis since last year her udder is permanently damaged. Also, he felt that her two bad pregnancies could actually be due to something else and we should consider not breeding her again. Basically, he felt that she is destined to either be a pet or fill freezer space. My husband is voting for freezer, but I am still hopefull that there are other solutions or that she will be fine. My breeder seems to think that it would be fine to breed her again next year. However, what can I expect from her udder. She is a very gentle and loving goat, but we are not made of $$$ and truly our animals were purchased to produce not to be pets. Please share your thoughts....
  2. enjoytheride

    enjoytheride New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    This is a hard decision- if it was just a matter of getting her as good as she can be, then it would be clear. Work on her and see what happens. But she is not just a pet but is also meant to do the work of giving milk and the thing that is most effected is her ability to do that.
    As long as the udder is not blocked, there is a hope that she could return to near normal. If there is too much old scar tissue already, then you can improve her but it is very unlikely that she will ever get to point that she can produce as much as other does. But maybe enough for you to deal with it.

    I think I might ask for the vet to culture the infecting bacterial. That shouldn't be too expensive. Some infections are more easily resolved than others. Staph aureus is very very hard to eliminate and would take a long haul of massaging and infusions and antifiotics to fix and even then ????

    Has she been tested CAE free because I understand that this can cause udder problems too. I have no experience with that.

    Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

  3. sweetgoats

    sweetgoats Moderator

    Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, I would not breed her again if that was mine. I have a 8 year old doe that has beautiful babies, and good healthy one also. She kidded with triplets this year, but I had to pull a 15# doe that was dead and breach. She normally has a nice utter and can feed without any trouble, but this year once the twins were about 4 weeks old one of her sides dried up totally. She did not have mastitis, but it just went dry. So I will not ever breed her again. I do not want to take the chance. BUT that said she is NOT a Dairy goat, she still will produce beautiful fiber. I would try to find a for ever home for her. But I could not and would not EVER eat one of my goats. (That is just me).
  4. capriola-nd

    capriola-nd New Member

    Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I agree with sweet goats, I could NEVER, EVER eat one of my goats. I've only eaten goat once before and that was only because I did not know.

    My aunt had a gorgeous Nubian doe with what appeared to be mastitis or udder edema - all the symptoms except perfectly normal milk, no infection there. She was tested for CAE and came back positive. My aunt did have her butchered but she is a "working ranch woman" and is used to that sort of thing. Not something I would ever do. . . . but if you are capable of it then it may be the best option. In her case, I would not breed her again. But my goats are precious pets as well as working animals.
  5. capriola-nd

    capriola-nd New Member

    Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will be best for your situation. Hope everything goes well for you and your doe.
  6. KW Farms

    KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

    Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I definately wouldn't breed her again. Next time something could happen to where you'd have to take her to the vet and spend more $$$. If your goats are not pets, but production I would put her in the freezer. You won't get much for her by selling so... :shrug: If you don't mind the freezer then that's definately the way I would go.
  7. susanne

    susanne Guest

    Nov 12, 2007
  8. Nupine

    Nupine New Member

    Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Go ahaead and breed her, it helped our doe with mastitis.
  9. Di

    Di Crazy Goat Lady

    Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    First I'm sorry you've had trouble with your doe. :hug: I'd say that the miscarriage was not her fault. And, any doe can have a hard birth, especially the first time (which it was technically). That said, I'd say she needs a negative CAE test and very aggressive intervention with the mastitis. If she's good enough quality that if you got some kids to sell it would offset her expenses, try it again...but...if she's marginal at best it's probably better to "cut your loses" and "do the deed". You might find a pet home for her, if she's special to you, just make sure that's were she's going, to a good home.

    You might go through the old posts regarding mastitis, it was said on one post (and I've since read it elsewhere) that you should feed her some of her own milk, you have to use a dosing gun, she will build up her own immune system to fight the mastitis.

    I haven't eaten any of my goats, but it's just a matter of time. I would give them a humane end before I'd send them to a questionable future. JMO, good luck, we all have our ways of handling these problems, but we are not a judgemental group, no really! :hi5:
  10. Farmer Gab

    Farmer Gab New Member

    Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Thanks for all the input on this question! I have decided to wait and see how I feel down the line. Our herd is small so I can convince my husband to give her another shot...I think. I am leaning toward trying one more time with her next year. BUT, I will think it over between now and buck visitation time.... :scratch:
  11. Farmer Gab

    Farmer Gab New Member

    Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Oh, and Dahlia is CAE negative....