The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
My 8 month Nigerian Dwarf goat has diarrhea. What can I do to fix her?
We need to figure out what is causing the diarrhea, then we will know how to proceed. How long have you had this goat? Have you had a fecal done to include cocci? Do you feed grain and, if so, what brand? Have you changed feeds, recently increased grain or changed grain suddenly, or changed types of hay? Even something an innocuous as changing cuttings in hay can effect their digestive system and rumen. Have there been any new additions to your herd lately?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Here are the "find out what could cause" questions I have: Temp? Color? Is she anemic? Off feed? Weird behavior? Past parasite treatments? Any feed changes?

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
It is understandable that noit everyone will have the meds needed in an emergency so if you do not have the CD Anti toxin Milk of Magnesia is an option as is activated charcoal gel.

You need to give more info such as her temp.... it should be between 101 and 103.5 F, Has she had ANY feed changes? Too much grain...getting grain meant for another animal such as chickens, has she been browsing on frosted grass? IF there is no fever and you know that she ate something to cause it then you can treat her with Pepto Bismol and feed only hay until she firms up. If no change in feed then having her checked by a vet for coccidian and other parasites will be beneficial to treating her.
I will add that Milk of Magnesia is used in cases of gut toxicity such as with entero, the reason behind using the CD antitoxin as it will coat the gut and absorb/bind toxins for efficient evacuation.

Be sure to provide her with plenty warm water, add in electrolytes or Gatorade, even molasses to get her to drink enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks those are all very helpful I'm having a vet come out tomorrow and I got the goat a week ago and here's the thing I have three and its only that one that has it. So I hope the vet can hind out what's up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts